Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Coding with Pass Thru Tool?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Electronics' started by thatryan, Jul 2, 2015.

thatryan

Anyone here do "coding" on their cars? Meaning, changing preferences..
    I know there is software and cables you can get to do it, but it is all in German lol from what I have read. Wondering if using a proper Pass Thru tool, such as

https://www1.snapon.com/diagnostics/us/PassThruProIII

With a subscription to the BMW TIS service allows you to alter preferences "easier"?

Or, is that tool used for other stuff completely?

Thank you

MGarrison

You can copy website url's into google translate's text boxes to help decipher foreign language websites, if that's any help - (translate.google.com)

More pertinent though, what are you trying to do, or change?

thatryan

Sorry, I meant all the settings in the car when using other software I've seen you can download is in German. Changing things like fold in mirrors, door unlock in park, those kind of settings.

MGarrison

Charlson might have some insight, year/model/mfg. date?

thatryan

it is a 2013 335i, not sure date mfg.
    I am looking to change simple settings like I mentioned. Mirrors, disclaimers, windows with fob etc. Nothing power train.

I know you are not supposed to lol, and I know "people" put software online to download and connect to esys cable, but I was curious if using a pass thru tool, in companion with subscription to BMW TIS lets you alter those types of settings in a better way. Also, in English instead of german.

Make sense?
    Thanks!

charlson89

Yes there are a lot of aftermarket tools out there for coding today's BMW's. Such tools as inpa, dash soft, x code (not sure its around anymore) just to name a few. Yes some are in german but using like mentioned above a translator you can figure it out. The tool you posted from snap is newer to the market used for independent shops that do a wide range of cars. The issues with this is the software has to purchased from another source and the BMW is through bmw and BMW does not do all of those things you are asking about. I would start looking at other BMW specific coding tools that allow you to change the code the way you want instead of just pushing a button.

apollodog

If you have an iPhone (potentially avail for Android too), there is a tool called Carly for BMW that will code the mirrors and other things you described. To use the app, you also need to buy a Wifi OBD connector; that + the app will run you ~ $100. The tool also scans for fault codes, which is also sometimes useful. I used it on my prior car, a 2009 E93 335i without issue.

dialaspc

Will the carly app work with any WiFi OBD ii connector? I downloaded the free version of Carly and it connected to my OBD II but once I went to the menu it drops the connection.