Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Buying long distance

Discussion in 'Buy, Lease, Finance & Insurance' started by loungin, Jun 30, 2015.

loungin

With all the classified ads for the CCA and on other internet sites, how do people handle buying cars across the country?

How do you be sure that the car is being truthfully and comprehensively represented without having seen it in person?

How would you go about getting a pre purchase inspection remotely?

charlson89

Normally what happens is the owner takes the car to your service shop of your choice. The inspection gets done and you the buyer pays for it to that shop. When you set up the inspection just let them know if there is anything else you want to know like body condition, seats. I do these at my dealer quite often for people.

loungin

Thanks! How do you go about finding a reputable shop remotely? If all else fails, are dealers usually pretty reliable for Ppi?

charlson89

Personally I would find the closest dealer to do the inspection. Just make sure you ask them to have a level 1 technician look at it so they don't stick you with a maintenance tech for the inspection. I have taken pictures and had them sent to some of my customers before so they know that the car is what the seller has stated.

loungin

I always appreciate the expertise on this forum.

How do people usually arrange payment and transfer of title remotely?

Do you guys have good experiences with any shipping companies?

charlson89

Normally payment sent can be done through your bank and his through a wireless transfer is the safest. We as a BMW cca members get a discount on car shipping so I would start with them. I have never shipped a car I always go pick my up personally so I can at least get a look my self before final transaction.