Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

e39 540i fuel filter chattering

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by ual767flyr, Jun 24, 2015.

ual767flyr

I have a 2002 540i/6 100k miles.

The car runs and starts fine.

I had the original fuel filter replaced and after about 30 miles the fuel filter is making a chattering noise and vibration. Indy shop replaced it again and after 30 miles, it began to chatter again. Sounds like a old diesel car.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks, Mike

charlson89

What kind of the fuel filter did you put in?

ual767flyr

Don't know the part number but it was a
    Hengst Filter.

charlson89

Is the filter chattering or the engine?

ual767flyr

Yep its the filter. You can put hand on the shroud and feel and hear the vibration. Car is getting more difficult to start now too. I've never had a problem with starts. I'm gonna take it to a dealer next week.

charlson89

I would check to make sure the filter isn't installed backwards. There should be a arrow pointing in the direction of flow. Also may wanna try a oe filter to.

ual767flyr

Went to dealer. Said fuel pump output pressure was low and return pressure was really low. Now I don't know how swapping out a fuel filter could have any effect on a fuel pump? 100K miles on the original filter.

Installed OEM fuel filter and a new fuel pump. Now it works and sounds fine.

As a side note, They had to order parts for my repair a gave me a loaner loaded 335d Xdrive. My first experience with a diesel and BMW connect. Not a fan of the BMW connect. Seems like a steep learning curve.

The diesel sounded a bit "tractor-ish" and harsh off the line. I was expecting more low end torque off the line too. seems the turbos didn't spool up till above 2000 rpm? The stop/start at traffic lights was weird the first few times. I was praying that when it was time to go that it would start!

My e39 is 13 yrs old and drove/handled better than that loaner!

charlson89

Glad everything is fixed on your car!