Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Idiot Light Question!

Discussion in 'E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)' started by BeamRider, Jun 2, 2008.

BeamRider guest

I have just purchased a 1999 Z3 and love it although, like any new or used car, the bugs will need to be worked out. Goes with the territory. I noticed today, one of the warning or "idiot" lights came on and I don't know what it means. (Hense the idiot part.) It resembles a wheel or gear with and exclamation ( ! ) point in the middle. Anyone know what it refers to, specifically? Thanks, for any help!

BeamRider

jbelfi76 guest

on my 530i that's similar to the symbol that comes on when you've turned the traction/stability control off.

johnh

First of all, you need to get an owner's manual and read all the details. Do you have an automatic? gear wheel with ! is automatic transmission problem.
    If it's a circle with arrow and triangle with ! then it's the dynamic stability control. If it's flashing, stability control is intervening while you drive, like on a slippery surface - normal. If it's on all the time, the DSC is not working.
    That's US. Canadian models vary somewhat.

BeamRider guest

Yes, I have an automatic transmission and I was worried that that might be what it means. Guess I better check it out. Thanks for your help. Hope it's something simple.

BR

bigpeps guest

What happened here? I have the same problem. light came on but went off after I restarted the car?