Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

" Frosted" oxidized plastic lens cover headlights

Discussion in 'E53 X5 (2000-2006)' started by 359840, Apr 29, 2014.

I'm trying to fix problem on 2004 X5. Diminished lighting due to frosted ( oxidized) lens cover over front headlights. Worth trying to buff out; or just replace? Where to get part?
    Does plastic lens cover just pop off? Any suggestions?
    Thanks,

Craig Sanford
    Tulsa,OK
    918-237-3748 cell, text

gmurphyZHP

A good polish is always helpful but new headlight lenses is always a better way to go. Unfortunately I think your headlights are one piece. Look into a 3M headlight restore kit. They work wonders!
    Ken.S.330 likes this.

charlson89

There are many polish kits out there. I have personally used the Meguires kit and really like how it turned out. Yes sadly your headlights do not come apart like the e46 they would need to be baked in an over and resealed with new sealant. Huge pain and most of the time will end up leaking.

raichean

Ken.S.330 likes this.

raichean

So I decided to go all the way, and replaced the whole thing! I will post up the DIY in a separate thread.

Ken.S.330

I used the 3M polish kit and then put a clear film on the lens, supposedly it protects from UV damage as well as rock chips. I used 3M Lightguard (14mil) Aerospace film, it was a pre-cut set that I got about 2.5 years ago. They still look good.

Carlos Murphy

I used the Meguires kit on mine, worked great and a heck of allot cheaper than buying new headlights!