Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2008 750li MAJOR ENGINE PROBLEMS!!!!!!

Discussion in 'E65/E66 (2002-2008)' started by mpizutti, Jun 2, 2015.

mpizutti

Hello looking for some advice, this is my 4th BMW never really had any problems with any of them until this 2008 750li. I did buy this one used 1 year ago with 67,000 miles on it, from a dealer in Boardman OH, pulling the carfax and all history from BMW the car did not show any problems, so I purchased the car. 1500 miles latter the weep hole leek started. Had to fight with the dealer to get it fix(after I had it in their shop 3times and they said there was no problem) which they did fix. Then in Sept.2014 (6 months later) I get a warning light that the car is running hot. then it goes off does not come back on till May 2015. during that time the car would go into limp mode and have other little problems with power delivery to the road, but would never show up on BMW scans.. so I dealt with it as it was very internment. So when the light cam back on I took it to the dealer by my house and they said the AUX fan was bad and that was $1000 fix. As soon as that was done the next day I hear a slight knock from the engine and a whine, I take I back and they look at it and say the noise is from the crankcase valve, they replace it $300 and I am on my way.. the next day hear the knock on my way to work did not have time to call, I come back home still hear the knock, I have to be at the airport early the next day so I head there and on the highway(only 10miles from my house) it gets crazy I know there is a problem, I pull in to the parking lot and as soon as I do the engine sends a connecting rod through the oil pan. NOW THE CAR IS DEAD. any one have any help or suggestions?? it is out of factory warranty. car now has 78,000 miles. I am in contact with BMWNA but not getting to far, the fix is more then what the car is worth. any info would be helpful.
    Thanks Mike

MGarrison

Eek - unfortunately, I don't have any great suggestions; getting anything from BMW corporate for a past-warranty vehicle may be a tough row to hoe, it doesn't hurt to ask and try, but don't be surprised if you don't get anyplace on that route. The club's ombudsman might be worth querying, might have dealt with similar stuff and give you an idea about likelihood of getting anyplace with BMW. At a minimum, if BMW even looked at it, I'd think it would take quite some time to get a determination or word on potential cause of failure. Cheapest fix might be to source a used engine somewhere - any pick-n-pull places around the country (or locally), Ebay, craigslist, I think Roundel ads have a couple of large used-parts places. Labor to pull & install your engine (add in maybe having to pull one if a donor car is found) won't be cheap, but that would almost assuredly be less than repairing yours. Google search your model and engine type, if there's a specific problem, likely it's come up on other BMW forums such as bimmerfest.com, etc. Sorry to hear of anything like this, wish you the best with any kind of resolution.

mpizutti

thanks for your advice..i have been looking for some engines they run about 3500.. working on a deal with BMWNA and the dealership on a fix. its sad that I have to bring in attorneys the mix. but cheaper then replacing the car right now

charlson89

Yah thats horrible. The best thing to do is look for a another engine used being the best route. Like garrison mentioned for best places to look. Always try to get a warranty when getting used parts on that scale.

Ken.S.330

That stinks. I hope it gets better from here.