Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

M3 S65 - Oil Change at 8,300 Miles - Intermittent Ticking Sound From Engine Since

Discussion in 'E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008-2013)' started by Mazaki, May 19, 2015.

Mazaki

Hello all, first post in these forums. I tried searching for this topic before making a thread, but it seems that it hasn't been discussed here.

Last week, BMW of Salem performed an Oil Change service on my 2013 M3 Coupe with DCT and ZCP. According to the Carfax when I purchased the car at approx. 5,400 miles, the 1,200 mile service had been completed, though I cannot recall if that service involved an oil change. What I know for certain is that this is the first time I have taken the car in for an oil change at approx 8,300 miles. Over the past couple months of owning the car I have become used to the noises that the S65 makes.

After the oil change, all seemed well and I drove the car home. It wasn't until a couple of days later sitting in a Subway drive-through that I noticed a an intermittent "ticking" sound coming from the front of my car. The car was in-gear with my foot on the brake. The symptom continues in both neutral and reverse. I could best describe it as the ticking sound a car typically makes when cooling down after being shut off, though there is no particular rhythm to the ticking. It could be described as a sort of slow morse code sort of patterning. It seems to only occur from 500 to 1,500 RPM while the car is stationary, slightly increasing in frequency and volume as the engine speed climbs. After 1,500 RPM any sound there might be is drowned out by other normal engine noise.

After some digging on the M3post forums, I read through a thread about how the S65 suffered from rod and main bearing issues which caused as a sort of ticking noise, though from what I understand only earlier years were affected by this problem. According to what I read in the thread, one particular owner's engine actually threw a rod sideways through his engine block because of rod bearing failure related to this design flaw.

For now, I am delaying taking the car back to the dealership as I am driving the car on a long trip to California that has been planned weeks in advance, and arrangements have been made that I cannot cancel. However when I return I will most definitely be contacting the dealer that performed my oil change service.

Any help and thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a video showcasing similar symptoms, albeit my engine's ticking is not as frequent for now.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=17&v=wdczdZZCmec

This seems to be a well-documented issue:
    http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=786615
    http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=433735

charlson89

There are many people having issues with noises from the S65. The 1200 mile service does include a oil change. This engine is quite loud under normal operation from the cams using gear to gear sprockets. And these sounds can be amplified next to walls and tunnels. I have heard of some bearing issues on the S65 but have never actually seen one fail. The best way to tell is to remove the filter and look for any bearing material in the filter. Of course the dealer will be able to figure it out for you just make sure you show one of the techs the noise not just the service advisors. That is the fastest way to get the vehicle fixed and not play the telephone game.

Mazaki

Here is video I took demonstrating the noise.

http://youtu.be/80DYmlmqNIg

Thank you for your thoughts on this. Once I return from California I will see if the dealership can figure out what's going on in there.

charlson89

Thanks for the video I do hear the noise you are talking about that tick that happens every so often. I don't not believe it is bearings from what I am hearing mainly because it doesn't that noise does not change with the engine speed. They will have to use a stethoscope to pin point where it is coming from.