Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

M3Dragon - NorCal CSL build

Discussion in 'E46 M3 (2001-2006)' started by m3dragon, Jun 29, 2012.

Ken.S.330

Yes, that is what I meant. My mistake I thought these parts were for the GTR. :oops: Nerver mind.

m3dragon guest

LOL no worries. I know I post WAY to much so it gets confusing.

m3dragon guest

Ok took a few months but finally got around to removing the CSL Door cards. Gave them to a friend to makes carbon fiber to have the scratches fixed and made to look as good as new. Hopefully I will get them back next week so I can put them back into the car.

[IMG]

m3dragon guest

Sorry for the delayed update. Car has been finally dropped off at the shop for the head removal and other CSL parts install. Head is heading down to LA to have the CSL valves, Supertech springs and retainers, head work, and intake port match work done.

I hope to post pictures of the Vanos rebuild here in the next week or two.

m3dragon guest

Looks like my car made it into the APEX Wheel add. Nice surprise when opening the recent issue of Roundel.
    [IMG]
    Ken.S.330 likes this.

m3dragon guest

Finally have some progress on the head removal. VANOS has been removed and I get to do some upgrading this weekend =) The shop said they will be able to remove the head in 2 weeks so I can send it down to LA for valve install and all the other upgrades.

[IMG]

m3dragon guest

After almost 3 months the head is finally off the car and off to get work done. Details of why it took so long are boring but let say just say YAY it is moving along now.

[IMG]

[IMG]

m3dragon guest

So close to being done. Can't wait to get the car back together.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

m3dragon guest

Head is finally back from Lang Racing. All first look at what a CSL head actually looks like with the shiny pointy valves installed. Can't wait to drive the car with all the changes and rock solid VANOS.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Ken.S.330 likes this.

m3dragon guest

OH MY OH MY.

Just picked up the car last night from Performance Motorworks in Rocklin. I am working on the review and images of the final CSL bits. Let me say WOW WOW WOW.
    MGarrison likes this.

m3dragon guest

This is kind of a sad but also exhilarating post at the same time. The last of the MAJOR work on my CSL project is now down. All the is left is some little odds and ends that I will do myself in the next week or two. It took 12 years to get to this point and I never imaged when I started this journey that I would have the car where it is today.

Ok enough of the sentimental BS, show us the dam images right =P

For those looking for a shop, obviously I highly recommend them as well as use them for all my BMW’s. Remember the quality of the work is what matters not just the cost. The fact they happen to be on the reasonable side is a plus. If you need any CSL or standard work done, there is no better place to go. Thanks to the gang there for finishing the CSL car.

Performance Motor Works
    Address: 2240 Sierra Meadows Dr, Rocklin, CA 95677
    Phone: 916-624-9656
    Dave – Owner
    Phil – Tech
    Remus - Tech /Fabricator

---------------------------------

The car was dropped off to my old show to finish all the head and selected items. Below is what was to be completed this time around:

• Remove head to be sent to machine shop / reinstall head upon return
    • Head word done by Lang Racing
    • Install CSL Valves
    • Supertech Valve Spring Kit
    • Supertech Stainless Steel Intake and Exhaust Valves
    • Complete Disassembly & Cleaning
    • Comprehensive Leak, Crack & Pressure Test
    • Inspect All Components For Irregular Wear
    • Our High performance Five Angle Valve Job
    • New Valve Seals
    • Trueness Checked & Resurfaced Mating Surface
    • Unshrouding of Valves
    • Blend the throttle body ports to the intake valves and smooth out the CNC cuts on the intake side of the cylinder head.
    • Install new front spindles (CSL King PinS)
    • Note: The CSL king pins have the same part numbers as standard accept the middle three numbers are different. When these were installed we thought we had been lied to all these years they were different. Once installed you can see the difference as well.
    • Beisan Vanos install – (I did the Vanos work , they just reinstalled the Vanos into the car once the head came back)
    • CSL Cabin Air Filter assembly
    • SMG sensor replacement
    • Change over to OE BMW brake fluid for ATB Blue
    • Differential fluid change

Head tear down and removal

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

m3dragon guest

Head tear down and removal part 2

Not a pretty sight to see her in so many parts and pieces =(

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

All boxed up and ready to go to LA.

[IMG]

m3dragon guest

Head back now and now the rebuilding can begin WOOTTT.

Took about two weeks for all the head work to be completed and another two to have it reinstalled along with all the other work.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

m3dragon guest

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

m3dragon guest

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

SHE LIVESSSS AGAIN

[IMG]

m3dragon guest

CSL Cabin filter goes in to save a WHOPING 8LB...

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

m3dragon guest

Last set of images of the brackets that were fabricated to make the CSL door panels and seat delete fit correctly. Amazing work was done to get it all tight and locked down.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

m3dragon guest

Last update for the day. I picked up the car and fired her up and notice that she has a slight growl now, almost V8-esk. This is not bad but as it has been a while the only thing I can think of is it might be the valves giving it more GRRRR. Driving the whole 15 miles home the car felt very dialed in, very responsive and just happy. Now keep in mind I still have no tune installed and am running all CSL software. When I accelerated on to the freeway the car on the freeway just kept going like a freight train as I hit 80 and then slowed down.

I am leading a drive up HWY 1 on Sunday so I will report back the impressions of the head work, valves if the sound is still there, and CSL king pins being installed.

Now that the CSL is effectively done the way I want it I can now enjoy driving the car for miles of fun. The new focus right now is on the GTR project to have it done by 2016 for the E46 M3 event have planned.

Once that car is done I will focus on my new DAD car I picked up over the weekend:

[IMG]

See here journey home here:
    Ken.S.330 likes this.

m3dragon guest

Recent updates.

Beginning of September I arranged for those who wanted to get into the capitol air show and showcase their car. After the show ended we could go and get images with the planes. While at the show I noticed I had smoke coming from around the secondary air pump. As I just got the car back this was a HELL NO! More in a minute after images.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Took the car back to the shop and found out the smoke was caused by a missing gasket on the head that was dripping oil. Fixed the seal and at the same time my SMG position sensor and DSC sensors both went out. UG, when it rains it poors. Got those both fixed and then a bank 1 o2 went out. Serious, got to love modding.

After all that the latest issues now are airbag light which i have to trace down to see which one is mad, and the rear o2 went out. Even with the 02 issue and airbag lights the car was ready to go on the Mammoth / Yosemite trip I had planned for the month.

This weekend was about 600 miles of fun roads and sigh seeing. The drive sections were a lot of the road I lead people on for Lake Tahoe. All I can say is WOW this car is amazing. Now keep in mind I have yet to put a tune on the car and all I have is stock CSL everything.

Turn after turn all I could do was smile as the car just flew across the road. I have always loved this car but after this trip I could not stop thinking about when I could do a drive again. For fun one of the friend on the trip had is fully option and lighted (less super charger) Dinan E39 M5 do a little head to head race. We did a 4th gear pull and we were dead even till he had to shift. After that I was still going and then kept going. Now if I had a tune I might have been able to pull a little.

Now the next steps are to clear all the little faults and do all the finishing touches. This trip also made me fall out of love in doing the GTR project. I already post about this in the thread.

[IMG]

m3dragon guest

Amazing a update after so long being MIA. I know I have been a bad M owner. Car sat for about 3 months as I am starting a new adventure in life with leading offroad groups on top of being a new dad. Needless to say the M3 got little love so I fully expect 10 lashings for it.

So what is new? Well all those little finishing touches that always linger and don't take a long time to do.

1. Removed the standard roof rail. Was a pain as the shop glued the old rail in but got it out.
    [IMG]

2. CSL Roof rail in
    [IMG]

Vanity items so flame away
    3. Side emblems on
    [IMG]

4. Door sills
    [IMG]

5. After going around with the side airbag connections going on and off I finally said F-it and went fully committed to the to the removal. Cut off the OE connectors and soldiered the jumpers in. No more light thanks to Terra resting it yet again.
    [IMG]

New adventure
    For those who are not off roading you will be like big deal but for those of you who offroad I have fully built the Raptor with a 3.5 shock setup all the way around along with other goodies.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]