Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Exhaust

Discussion in 'E36 M3 (1995-1999)' started by Evan Buko, Jun 1, 2008.

Evan Buko guest

What would be a good sounding/quality exhaust for a 1998 m3?

jmaconaghy guest

My 95 M3 came with a Dinan cat back. It sounds great. Good combination of low speed back pressure sounds and high speed scream. It is at least 5 years old and still looks like and acts new. Dinan is pricey but most will say that it is worth it. Check out Rogue Engineering's site. They have some sound bites for their proprietary system. Also check out Turner Motorsports web site.
    J-Mac

370435 guest

I have a Stromung Cat Back....it is the best IMO. I know everyone is different tho.

catmundu

it really depends on what u like. in terms of sound, this is a totally subjective topic! :) if u want loud and aggressive, i used to drive an e36 m3 with a magnaflow cat back exhaust and it fit the bill on both. my current m3 has a dinan exhaust on it- and i totally love it. the magnaflow was a huge confidence builder on course (if it sounds fast, ya gotta be breaking landspeed records!) but for a daily driver it could be annoying to passengers- as a driver u don't even notice it after a bit! the dinan's exhaust note is much more subdued but still aggressive sounding. many have told me that they think it is the best sounding exhaust for that car. *shrug* and p.s. my mom doesn't complain about "that sound" when she rides with me. :D

Pedal2dmetal guest

Hello! This is my first post here,this club is great!. Please sorry for my english.If i want to put a custom made exhaust for my 95 m3,what diameter is better? My car is stock rigth now besides a short intake system but i have plans to put headers and a ecu tuning.Any suggestions?

criticman guest

Arash2002tii guest

My tii has Magnaflow muffler with straight pipes, sounds super-aggressive! Makes it hard to believe that it's a tiny 4 banger. On my E30 I have a Supersprint exhaust. They are a little pricey thought but a cool thing about them is that its fairly quiet during normal driving but just screams in the higher range of the tach, and I mean screams. Hope this helped.

starkhundin guest

criticman guest

Glad to see the European Car article I linked above is popular. One comment I have on UUC is don't be fooled by generics. Umnitza made a knockoff of one of UUC's twin silencer exhausts for significantly less money. They have since pulled it from their website, but it can be had on eBay (with umnitza as the seller). UUC claims the do not de-brand their exhausts, so the Umnitza is an unauthorized knockoff. A friend recently bought it. The weight reduction is still present and it sounds very nice. Weld quality seems solid. However, whether it was tested and tuned for optimum performance is another story. I would suggest he dyno before and after, but his '95 M3 is already down 50-60 whp due to some engine troubles...so it wouldn't be the best test.