Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Tailgate 2006 BMW 530xit

Discussion in 'E60 (2004-2010)' started by 391075, Mar 11, 2015.

The automatic tailgate on my 5 series wagon has begun working intermittently. Could this be related to an actuator or the electric motor that lifts the tailgate going bad ?? Advice appreciated.
    Thanks

charlson89

Are the actuators making any noise? If they are then yes them probably should be replaced.

No noise from the actuators. When trying to open the tailgate it will disengage, lift abt 2 inches and becomes stuck. The only way then to open the tailgate is to forcefully lift it manually. Other times it will function properly with some extra noise from the motor lifting the tailgate.

The tailgate will some time open fully and other times only abt 75 percent, In some instances it will not close fully leaving the tailgate ajar and the interior lights on. I've been told it could be the hydraulic motor (?).

charlson89

Yes it sounds like it could be the motor. First thing you need to do is check the fluid level of the motor and see there are any leaks in the system. They are known for leaking on some of the lines over time.

While waiting for the "small parts/fluid refill kit" to arrive by Fedex, the weather has become warmer and the partial rising /stoppage of the tail gate seems to occur less often. I suspect the fluid expands at higher temps whereas the volume shortage becomes less. Nonetheless the tailgate still does not close properly and the interior lights remain on for 20 minutes before they automatically shutdown. I brought the car to my local dealer for an unrelated issue whereas they advise the "harness" that serves the tailgate must be replaced to solve the problem of closing properly. Cost a painful $2600 plus. Any advise other than selling today's electronically laden BMW's before they become seven or eight years old will be appreciated.

charlson89

Did they say why the harness needs to be replace is it damaged or internal short?

Both rear harnesses serving the tailgate had to be replaced. The dealer saved the old harnesses to show where the insulation had worn and a number of wires severed at the bend in the harness between the tailgate and the car's body. All attributed to years of opening and closing the tailgate. Clearly a design flaw as I see it. The gauge of the wires were too small and the protection surrounding the harness insufficient to stand the test of time. I now have all the functions that were lost individually as each wire severed over time. Thanks for your input.
    CHROMEDREAM likes this.