Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Clutch squeak

Discussion in 'E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008-2013)' started by loungin, Apr 5, 2015.

loungin

I just got a 2008 E90 M3 6MT and noticed that when cold and engine off depressing the clutch makes quite a bit of squeaking noise. Is it normal for the clutch to make some rubbing/squeaking noise when depressed? When does it become a mechanical concern?

Are there bushings around the moving parts that naturally will have some swishing and squeaking sounds? Maybe it's a spring somewhere making the noise. The squeaky bit comes when the pedal is depressed about halfway and goes down in pitch and rises in pitch as I depress it further like a squeaky 3 hole punch. The squeaking seems to come from under the hood, as opposed coming from inside the cabin/clutch pedal.

I would say I only notice my noise when the car is parked in the garage. Otherwise when the engine is on and I'm on the road, all those noises drown out the clutch squeak.

I don't have much of a reference for clutch pedal noise. I have a newish Mazda 3 mt which is much newer (2014) and quieter, but even that squeaks a tiny bit and I actually had that pedal and master cylinder changed out for that reason.

Do other people notice this with their cars?

Thanks!

charlson89

My suggestion is to get down next to the car while it is off and push the clutch with your hand and listen to see exactly where the noise is coming from. I have see the clutch pedal bushings and springs cause squeak noises before. But it could be something in the trans as well.

loungin

I can't see anything when I'm looking under the car. It looks all covered up so I'm not sure how to identify which component the sound is coming from. I'm also not sure where the clutch actually sits in my car. But it does sound like the noise is coming from under the hood somewhere. The noise depends on how quickly I step the clutch. Step slowly and it creaks like a spring with maybe a little squeak at the bottom. Step fast and it's a more high pitched squeak. Does something need to be lubed in the clutch assembly periodically?

charlson89

There are bushings at the top of the clutch pedal that some times needs to be lubricated or the bushings are worn out. Also there is a return spring for the clutch pedal that can sometimes cause noises. I have once before had the clutch master cylinder also cause a squeak from the plastic rubbing. You don't need to identify anything under the car yet you just need to make sure the noise is coming from outside the car not inside. All the parts I have mentioned are inside the cabin. If you can hear the noise while listening close as you can to the underside of the car there is only a couple options then one the clutch forks pivot could be causing the noise or the slave cylinder could be causing the noise (this is unlikely though).

MGarrison

If you get on hands & knees to get your head under the dash for closer hearing proximity, place some protective padding or couple layers of towel or whatever over the side sills so you don't risk scratching or chipping the finish from belt buckles, etc.