Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

manual transmission / diff oil change interval and recommendation?

Discussion in 'E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008-2013)' started by loungin, Mar 25, 2015.

loungin

Hi,

What's the oil change interval for manual transmission and differential oils?
    What fluids are recommended? Should I just go with OEM for the MT?

On the diff, is there any harm using the Syntrax SAF-XJ without the FM even if it starts making noises? (chattering or groaning are the two I've noticed on different cars)

BTW: I was told that it might be better not to change the transmission oil because it is a closed system and doesn't really get dirty. He said he had experience with multiple BMWs becoming hard to shift after changing the manual gearbox oil. Can someone explain one way or the other?

Thanks!
    David

charlson89

For the M3 both are done at every 3rd oil change. Only use the BMW diff fluid xj with the extra friction modifier to keep from getting the noise and premature wear of the clutches in the diff. The transmission fluid you can use what you want but I do suggest using the MTF LT-2 that it takes but I know how expensive it is. If your M3 has a manual not the DCT then BMW states the fluid needs to be changed every 3rd oil change the DCT's do not get serviced.

loungin

Thanks for your reply to this and the oil post!

To clarify, so for a typical CBI oil change at 15,000 mi max, that's transmission and diff oil change at every 45,000 mi. But what if the car is getting an oil change every 1 year at 4000 mi, as is common with these M3s? Do you really have to change the transmission and diff oil every 3 years regardless of mileage?

I might just settle on doing the changes at the minimum old school interval of every 30k mi.

Thanks!

charlson89

Yes if your doing more frequent oil changes then what BMW says of 15000 (way to much) then I would suggest doing a trans and diff flush every 30k depending on how you use the car. If it is a track machine then more frequent changes may be needed because of the extra stress and heat from those events. If it is a street car mostly then 30k is just fine.

GoRoundel

Reviving this thread. My 2008 E93 M3 rear differential fluid was changed with Genuine BMW Differential Gear Oil SAF-XJ+FM (part # 83 22 2 282 583). After driving about 700 miles, rear diff started to make noise when turning right in tight corners (no noise during left turns or going straight). P.S. Car has about 41K miles. Never sees track or beaten up.

Any feedback or suggestions will be much appreciated.

charlson89

Since fluid replacement have you done figure 8's to break the new fluid in to the clutches.

330indy1

I use Redline fluids in the rear diffs (LSDs too) and MT boxes. Smooth as silk