Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Removing motion restrictions on DVD players in cars.

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Electronics' started by Pyewacket1, Mar 13, 2015.

Pyewacket1

As a former Information Systems guy (now retired), I try to keep up with most of the latest developments in the Infotainment systems available in mainstream BMW vehicles. It seems it's fairly easy (and inexpensive) to obtain the necessary coding programs on-line that allow the user to make modifications to vehicles such as the E9x series and F-series vehicles.

In reading through various forums, one of the more popular modifications seems to be removing all the motion restrictions on the vehicle DVD players, allowing DVD viewing while the car is in motion.

I'm just curious what other club members think about this.. What does is say about us as drivers, or perhaps the question should be what does it say about us as BMW owners, if we elect to activate the DVD in motion option?

charlson89

Well bottom line is it's your car and you can do what you want. It is illegal to do this mod of course. But yes there a lot of different coding programs coming on the market for BMW's where you can code the modules.

MGarrison

I'm not sure we can infer much generally about what any one might opt to do - it's plainly obvious that anyone trying to multitask driving with movie-watching is choosing distraction that endangers themselves, & thus other motorists as well. If anyone opts to bypass such built-in constraints, we can only hope they smartly choose common-sense & safety while driving.
    charlson89 likes this.

Ken.S.330

I would vote thumbs down on that one. It would be nice for the front passenger to be able to watch a movie on a long trip but it would be too distracting for me as a driver. I have a hard enough time checking the song name and artist.
    charlson89 likes this.

Pyewacket1

Thinking about the growing number of possible distractions in modern cars (as if older models didn't already have enough, especially after the addition of cellphones), I can see why self-driving car technology is becoming so much more attractive.