Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

1996 328ic woes

Discussion in 'E36 (1992-1999)' started by 342396, Feb 23, 2015.

my 1996 e36 build date 11/95 convertible top is stuck no success with resetting. cannot find the fuse 49 thats should be in the trunk in front of battery but not there .Is there another place to look ?

charlson89

Is the top stuck down or up? Do you hear any motors running when you press the switch?

I was able to use the release under the back seat top move the top both up and down. There is no sound when the top button is pressed with the motors engaged or not

charlson89

Have you tried to reinitialize the system?

Yes--I--Have--Tried--to--reinitialize--the--system--but--nothing--happens--when--I--push--on--the--top--switch.--The--spacebar--has--failed--today--on--my--keyboard.The--top--switch--dose--not--flash--red--when--I--try--to--open--the--top.

charlson89

Ok fuse 49 is right next to the battery on the positive end of it should be a yellow fuse. Also check fuse 7 in the under hood fuse block and fuse 35.

I looked all over on the right side of the trunk in the battery area. I traced the red battery cable until it went through the metal wall behind the back seat. I could not find that fuse # 49. my E 36 has a 11/95 build date.
    There is a CD changer back there but seems separate from this issue. Thank you for your time and interest.

charlson89

My top is partially automatic there is no motor at the windshield part of the top Thank you for the links