Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

X3 28i Rear Window Defrosting on 2014

Discussion in 'F25 X3 (2010-present)' started by Joegeraci, Feb 5, 2014.

Joegeraci

Hi Folks - Anyone have any issues with rear window just defrosting the portion of window that tracks the rear wiper?

charlson89

How do you mean exactly like a half circle only where the wiper makes contact?

Joegeraci

Thank you for responding!!! You are exactly correct. The heating coils beyond the half circle showed no evidence of defrosting the window from ice that formed on it overnight, which surprised me. I'm guessing that the number of heating coils, all of which are shaped in a half circle are more closely concentrated where the wiper makes contact and those would be more effective with the friction from the wiper.

There's nothing in the owners manual that describes this condition. Any suggestions to determine what can be done to test and evaluate, short of a trip to the service center, would be much appreciated.

charlson89

Does it eventually defrost the whole window or does it never do it?

Joegeraci

Great question. I'm not certain whether the coils or internal cabin temperature eventually melted the ice. Is there a test to figure whether all of the coils are working aside from ice melt?

charlson89

Well with some research this is normal for the F25. No idea why they think that was a good design.

Joegeraci

Ah well. Many thanks for your research!

129674 TrueBlue

Sorry can't help you I'm in Ft. Lauderdale. However I did notice on defogging what you say is true about the arc. I guess BMW just wanted us to see out that area. LOL.