Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

i3

Discussion in 'Autocross' started by Myi3ez, Sep 25, 2014.

Myi3ez

Any one else autocross an i3 yet? I went and played with the Porsche club last weekend.

MGarrison

That's a rhetorical question, right? Ok, since we already know the answer is "no" - don't leave us hangin'! Spill... how was it?

charlson89

No doubt let us know so wanted to try one out at the track!

Myi3ez

I did not set the world on fire. I ran the car completely stock and left the traction control on. The massive understeer is what I expected. What I did not expect was the throttle lag. It was very quick off the line but out of the turns it took forever to respond to throttle input. I suspect it was an issue of steering angle. It was a bit tough to analyze what was going on since I don't have a lot of experience at autocrossing. I was spending more mental energy trying to navigate than I liked. I prefer the track (never gotten lost there). I'm hoping Watkins Glen will put in a DC fast charger.
    Angry Dfns Eng likes this.

MGarrison

No clue on how much different it would be compared to other bimmers, but if you auto-x it again, shut off traction control as much as possible; owner's manual should explain the ins & outs of that (if it's consistent w/ recent bimmers, press & hold dtc button until a big warning light pops up). Hopefully that would help w/ the throttle lag. Walk the course as many times as you have time for, positioning yourself as you walk where you'll be sitting in the vehicle. Looking ahead, just like at the track, helps negotiating the course. Look at how far your tires are scrubbing over, adjust tire pressures so the scuff marks aren't going past the tips of the diamonds/triangles on the sidewall, bump up front pressures & drop rear pressures to reduce understeer.

Myi3ez

Next P Club autocross is in November. I am going to turn off the traction control but probably not mess with the tire pressures at that time. I might even manage to find an empty dark parking lot to mess with the tc before then. If I were to get more serious, I'd buy some new rims and tires. I've been down that slippery slope with my Exige and track days. I sold it when I decided my young boys should be my priority. Plenty of time to go back when they get older.
    MGarrison likes this.

With those bicycle tires and 100% torque instantly, you were probably elbow deep in traction control at every corner exit!
    Angry Dfns Eng likes this.

mattm

Yes, shut off all the traction and DSC (if you can).

Angry Dfns Eng

I had same experience with my 2014 i3 REX. I turned off all the traction control I could. I don’t think car has limited slip. Wondering if it was lifting inside rear tire and therefore couldn’t put down any traction coming out of corner. Frustrating for a BMW at an auto cross.