Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

700 Project

Discussion in '700 (1959-1964)' started by ToM3, Mar 4, 2008.

ToM3 guest

Well, we've nearly completed making the replacement floors (yes, there's two, sandwiching multiple round locating "cans") for our 700 cabriolet project. Rust everywhere, so it's taking longer than expected. We'll get it though. Stay tuned.

Cheers

BoostedE21 guest

please post pictures! That sounds fantastic!
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

How is this project coming? I am looking for a 700 to build for a city car/autocross toy/stealth marauder and would like to see pics of what I will be dealing with.

BlueAngel M3 guest

Any pics?? Would love to see some! :D

ToM3 guest

Here are some pics from our first 700 test drive. Car is not complete (no bumpers, no top, etc.), but in far better shape than when we started. The last two pics show me cutting out what remained of the old bottom floor, then welding up the new one we made.

Cheers

Brian A

Spectacular!

Wow!

Double wow!

BlueAngel M3 guest

Awesome! Any pics of the nose??

BMWCCA1

Well here's one of mine. My 700S Convertible's nose, that is:

[IMG]

BlueAngel M3 guest

Is it at a dealership or something? Looks beautiful! :D

BMWCCA1

It was in my dealership as odd eye-candy back in 1998 or so. It's un-restored, original 11k miles and a rare bird with nearly every option BMW offered at the time including a tach and a larger "rally" fuel tank. Could be the most original one in the world, for all I know. That was the claim when I bought it some sixteen-years ago. It's by far the nicest of the three I own! :D

I used to drive it to shows everywhere. It's even been on the track at Lime Rock in a parade that became nearly flat out for the little two-cylinder! Here it is at a show a long time ago.

[IMG]

BlueAngel M3 guest

Beautiful machine! Any other interesting BMW classics you have?

BMWCCA1

Sorry! Not my thread. I just piled on in the excitement of seeing another lover of 700S Convertibles who had the ability to bring one back from the dead.
    [IMG]

ToM3 guest

What a wonderful preserved original example! From the pics, you probably have the most original one in existence. Do you have any more pics? We've added an original tach to the one we're restoring, but otherwise trying to keep everything as it was. That said, it will never look this good.

cdiesel guest

700 stuff . . . .

[IMG]

BMWCCA1

I was once told by a BMW employee that this was the most original they knew of. It was purchased via Tourist Delivery by an American who ticked off every available option at the time including in-dash tach and larger sport fuel tank with modified trunk-floor covering. I forget the rest but the build list is written in the owner's manual. It still has the first-service sticker in the driver's door jamb from when it came back to the US through Hoffman in NY. And the original break-in sticker on the windshield showing the speed range for each gear. The bag for the top cover has the production number written in grease pencil to match the chassis. The only non-original paint is on one fender from damage that occurred in-transit from Germany back in 1964.

I drove it to Oktoberfest back in 1996 but not so much since then. It has around 11k on it. I'm the fourth owner including a brief stint in the hands of Jack Frasher who bought it with a BMW collection to gain the 507s, drove it back from Minnesota to South Carolina, then sold it to the owner from whom I purchased it back in 1994 or so.

It's one of three 700 Cabs I own, along with three Isettas and two 1600 Cabs.

granthr

Awesome picture!!! Now that is an efficient way to transport BMWs!! So glad they were not using an MB truck! :D

I am guessing the cars were strapped to a vertical post or platform so that the weight of the body was not on their tail sections.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

I haven't seen those cars in so long. I thought you only had two 700s, two Isettas, and one 1600. I'd love to come and visit the collection some day.

tiFreak

might have been from when they laid it sideways on top of the truck :D

BlueAngel M3 guest

If I would buy one it would be fully restored at a great price. I wouldn't waste my time restoring something like that. Its expensive and you will come out short.

BMWCCA1

Naah, you didn't see any convertibles on that truck, did you?! :D