Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2002 X5 temp Guage high

Discussion in 'E53 X5 (2000-2006)' started by Africanos, Jan 26, 2015.

Africanos

Lately my temp. Guage shoots all the way to max with increased blower pressure out the vents but no heat. Turning off the car fixes this and Guage returns to blue and heat fine. Is it that my thermostat is stuck or the blower motor is dyeing. Also the max button on heat will not work.

MGarrison

Hopefully Charlson will pipe-in with a better-informed answer than me, but if it's not mechanically, truly overheating, and a stop/start reset seems to address the issue, that sounds like an electronic/control module issue to me, or something along those lines, which I'd guess could have myriad possible causes. I'd take it to a dealer or and independent shop that specializes in BMW's, or German cars at least, and get a fault scan done. If you're hitting up an indy shop you're unfamiliar with, make sure they have the scan tools needed for your vehicle.

Africanos

charlson89

How long do you have to turn the car off before the gauge will go back to normal? When this happens is the vehicle already warmed up or is it still cold? Also what do you mean by max ac button doesn't work? When you press it does the blower not go to max output of air?

Africanos

Turn it off then on immediately, I meant the max button would light up and blower would go to max, doesn't do either. Also temp Guage stays in blue after turn off and turn on.

charlson89

Couple things to check first one is for the coolant to be full and no leaks in the system. Second thing to test is when the gauge goes red you need to look at the radiator hoses and see if any of them are compressed. If the LED for max is not coming on there the climate control unit is not activating the max function properly for some reason either a bad module or one of inputs required for max isn't sending the right signal.