Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E82 Semi-Automatic Shifter Problem

Discussion in 'E81/E82/E87/E88 (2004-present)' started by EvaUnit02, Jan 11, 2015.

EvaUnit02

The shifter in my 2008 135i no longer upshifts when in manual. Fully automatic works fine. The paddle shifters work fine in both directions. The shifter works fine when downshifting.

So, it's clearly not a mechanical problem. I assume the shifter uses microswitches of some sort and that the upshift switch has gone bad or become disconnected. Does anyone have any idea how to go about tackling this issue? Is the first step to take apart the shifter? Are the switches located there? Has this been a problem you've seen before? Any tips or ideas?

Thanks so much.

charlson89

Yes there is a micro switch for it and if I remember correctly that is a sealed system and can't replace the micro switches separately. Hope that helps.
    EvaUnit02 likes this.

Actually no, your microswitch is probably fine. The wires that control this are very tiny gauge and commonly break, so more than likely all you need to do is patch the broken wire (also if the lights stop working on the shifter or if you can't go into sport mode, this is the same root cause). Here's a DIY guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQysOv1MqbE