Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

My Touring is taking on water

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by mjweimer, Mar 4, 2008.

mjweimer

What is next....hmmm....sealed hoods. Idiot light comes on and a friendly voice comes over the BMW Assist and announces that Roadside Assistance is on its way to tow you to the friendly local dealer. :D

I agree with you 100% regarding the turbo's on the E9x and E8x. The cars seem to run high oil temps in normal driving (even with the cooler, only avail. with the sport package). BMW would not acknowledge the problem anyway just as they have not with the Vanos seals.

Speaking of which Vanos seals, they are my next project once the interior goes back into the Touring. I am looking forward to the results.

Matt

snikwad guest

yeah, ive had some seals sitting here for about a month now, and i still havent gotten the balls or the time to install them.

mjweimer

I replaced the entire Vanos on my E36 with a Dr. Vanos unit and it was much more involved than removing the Vanos on the E46. BMW really did their homework allowing access to the front and top of the engine on the E46 compared to the E36.

That said, I too am a little hesitant to pull the thing apart but I don't think it will be too bad.

Matt

Larry Leonard guest

Hello

I have found lots of water in my 2001 330ci. the drivers side carpets are soaked.
    Found your similar problem interesting, not sure how to proceed. i emailed the BMW dealer and he said check vapor barriers. Not sure what to look for.

Larry

snikwad guest

Larry Leonard guest

Still wet

I took the door panel off last night after driving home in pouring rain, the gray foam vapor barrier was intact and absolutely no sign of water in the door.

It looks like water may be getting past the door seal along the leading edge of the drivers side window, coming down the area along the hinges and somehow getting to the floorboard from there.

This is first BMW and hard to believe it has such flaws.

larry

snikwad guest

the vapor barrier will look like its intact, mine did, the trick is to find the leaks and seal them, also a friend of mine suggested silicone in the screw holes where the panels screw into the door.
    unfortunately he suggested this on the 2nd door, and i did it on the one screw hole that leaked, well, guess what, that hole stopped leaking and i have a leak in a new spot. so when i change my mirrors here soon, im gonna silicone the crap out of every hole on the door panel.

330indy1

this is nuts. and you guys are convinced it's from driving rain. huh. I thought BMW blasted their cars at the factory with water to test for leaks. At least that's the propaganda at the Spartanburg plant video tour. :confused:

Steve21M5

My E39 touring had a similar problem but on the passenger side. Turned out to be condensation from the AC not draining properly. I don't remember the details as it was years ago, but there is a hose that drains the condensate out under the car and it was plugged. I believe there is a hose on both sides - one on the driver's side and one on the passenger side. I discovered this problem after making a 5 hour drive home with the AC on. So, if you first noticed this problem after a prolonged drive with the AC on, this may be your problem also.

snikwad guest

Larry Leonard guest

Water still a problem

OK- I took the door apart again and resaeled and caulked everything. Then did the hose test all around the door, window and frame. No problem.

Then put paper towels all around the areas of the door gasget, held with masking tape. Hosed her all down again- no problems.

Then hosed down the windsheild and hood arae includind the door. (Leaking started)
    Inside I could see the drips coming off the latch handles of the hood and truck. Where the hell is that coming from?

I also ran electrical tape from side to side along the plastic housing by the wipers that touches the windsheild, ran hose again, still flooding the car.

I cannot see how it is getting into that area that looks to be behind the dash?
    Anybody run into this?

snikwad guest

Someone mensioned there was some hose of some sort to the exit end of the sunrrof and winscreen drain hole.

If the trunk had a leak, its mostly likely being let into the trunk, by an improperly seated taillight.

dermar7 guest

My 528it is taking on water

Hi,

my 2000 528it with moonroof was leaking water behind the drivers side column as I was driving in a rainstorm. The drivers side carpet was soaked. I assume the roof drain was clogged. Anyone know how to clean out the roof drains?...itis not obvious. Any other ideas on where the leak is coming from?

Thanks

kevs330Ci

i believe the headliner will have to be pulled down to gain access the to sunroof drains....