Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Autocross Car

Discussion in 'Autocross' started by Arash2002tii, May 27, 2008.

Arash2002tii guest

Hi! Currently I am looking for a car that the car nuts in my family can use as our regular autocross and sometime track day car. There are a few rules to this though, the budget we have all together is 50k but obviously lower is preferable, and it needs to be a manual and street legal as we do not have a trailer or anything to tow with. I know this is heresy but it does not have to be BMW. Personally I was thinking about an NSX or maybe even a 1 series if that might work. Maybe an e36 m3? Any suggestions/ideas are welcome. Even if its a car that has to have a lot of time/money invested will be fine as long as its under budget (i.e. Datsun 510).
    Thanks! :)

2002man guest

Autocross/track car

You should looking into the early 90's E30 (328is) they are popular models. But the E30 M3 (4cyl) is good too as is the E36 M3. or even the early Z3 are good cause they were not to expensive for a BMW convertable and have the same engine as the E36 car. A I seris is not as much a drivers car as the earlier BMW models. But you need to find a race prep shop and ask them, they would have a better understanding of this sort of thing.

Arash2002tii guest

Thanks. Nice 02 by the way ;)

catmundu

personally i think an e36 m3 is IDEAL. i am completely unbiased. *blink blink* :D

az3579

I'd recommend an E30, probably an M3. The E30 chassis is just phenomenal in the corners. Newer bimmers at Lime Rock couldn't shake me off their tails in the corners (but left me at the straights :D) and I've just got a vanilla E30 (non-M3). Plus, the E30 is cheaper to get parts for compared to newer bimmers and is probably easier to diagnose if it has problems because of the lack of some of the nannies and gadgets that newer ones have. You don't need nannies and gadgets when on a track or autocross. ;)

Bimmerdan

You're definitely going to have a variety of suggestions and opinions on this one but I would have to vote for the E36 M3 as well. When it's well maintained, it's virtually bulletproof and there are so many 'go-fast' parts for it on the market right now that the only limit is your imagination! The 1-Series is an incredible car but from a flat-out handling standpoint, it would need wheels, tires and springs just to bring it to where the E36 M3 starts at. Although from a motor standpoint, the 135 will leave even a well-prep'd M3 in the dust (trust me on this one!!).

catmundu

as unbiased as i am, dan is completely right about the e36 m3.:D in pure stock form, it's a great car to learn in and will outdrive u as u learn to mod the nut behind the wheel. for those w/ more autox/track experience there are tons of options to choose from when it comes to performance modding- and the car still outdrives me! :) personally, i think it's the perfect package if u're looking for a street legal/autox car.

mattm

You could go with a more fuel efficient BMW and use a 318i (E36 chassis). I *am* biased! Excellent autocross car. I know I can fit eight Hoosier A6s and four Hoosier Wets and still drive it to events. [IMG]

Arash2002tii guest

Thanks guys. The e36 M3 sounds promising I'll look and see if I can't find any good ones for sale. Appreciate the help.

Bimmerdan

The 318 would definitely make a good autocross car, I used to campaign my 318ti for several years and it was outstanding. One big advantage of the E36 M3 is that it's perfectly at home on the track as well. As good as the 318 is, the M3 comes alive when you put it on a road course! I got tired of having to point all the M3's by at the driver's school when I was cruising down the straight in the 318. There's something to be said for horsepower...!!

Like the totally unbiased ;) Catmundu said, it's a great choice for a street legal autocross & track car.

Arash2002tii guest

Well after looking for a while I picked up an '88 M3. Pretty fun little car especially since it has adjustable Konis in the front and Bilsteins in the back plus a Dinan chip and Supersprint exhaust. One the the car needs is tires, badly. And I need to upgrade myself as well (driving school anyone?). I'll post pics when I get the chance. Currently got a job at a independent BMW dealer (mostly classics) so it's been a pretty good week for me. M3 + Job = A very happy man. Just wanted to say thanks for your suggestions guys I really appreciated the help!

az3579

Congrats on your new toy. That sounds like a dream week to me (job + M3). :D

BattoG4 guest

I would tend to agree for the price and available upgrades.

Bimmerdan

Congratulations on the car AND the job!! You are going to love the E30 M3!! That was the first car I ever autocrossed back in 1990 and it hooked me for life!

Enjoy and be sure to post the pictures as soon as you can, would love to see it!