Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2006 M3 Stick Shift - Preventive maintenance question

Discussion in 'E46 M3 (2001-2006)' started by mpower8, Oct 18, 2014.

mpower8

Hi all,

I am the first owner of the car and meticulous on the maintenance.
    Like to get some real world expertise...

Just a background - I have 48k on the car. All fluids including transmission & differential have been changed per Old School maintenance. I get about 20MPG with a mix of city and highway driving.

Q1 - Is valve adjustment required at a certain mileage? My shop says that the valve do not need any adjustment - he says that there is no noise so he would not suggest opening the engine unnecessarily

Q2 - What is a good software for the DME or other potential power enhancements within the engines natural limits? I know that the E46 engine is a true detuned racing engine - like to get additional power but within the limits without compromising the longevity.

Thanks
    Manik

MGarrison

charlson89

Valve adjustment I do for customers on inspection 2 at 60 k most of the time they do not need any adjustment but never hurts to check. As for the second questions I would say do something along the lines of DINAN or a custom flash from a good tuning company. Shark is a ok tuner not my favorite though but good for the price.

mpower8

Thanks guys...helpful.

mpower8

Another set of questions - for this same car...
    The car is at 58K now...still going strong...ended up with the ESS DME software a year back and I am very happy.

Q1. I like to do the Diff and Trans fluid change - instead of the BMW fluids I am thinking of Redline - Any opinions out there?
    Q2. My Diff is showing signs of very minor leak - no drops just stickiness around the diff bottom. It showed up this summer (Chicago)...how long can I hold off or should I get the seal fixed ASAP. BTW, checked the level of the fluid - still okay after 3 months of noticing the stickiness.
    Q3. Are there any good solution for undercarriage protection besides the factory plastic covers? I am noticing that that these are becoming brittle (9 years old now) - e.g. one of the screw holders of my fuel filter cover broke.

Thanks

charlson89

Yes redline is a good product to use. The diff fluid just make sure you get the right weight and make sure it is for limited slip diff's. You can hold off until the leak start leaking large drops on the ground. As for the undercarriage I recommend the original panels to help with protection and aerodynamics.