Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Repair of my car will be delayed due to medical reasons

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by bcweir, Aug 27, 2014.

bcweir

Diagnosed with diabetes type 2. Raising money by selling my book to pay for my treatment. I have no health insurance. Link to my website listed below. Thank you all in advance.

shelbyvnt Baby Bee...

Okay,

Finding out that you are a Type II Diabetic never makes for a good time.
    I know, I got the same news about 15 years ago. No two diagnosis are ever
    the same, but most are similar & all Type II patients need to do two things.
    1. Learn about the dietary adjustments needed to help control your condition.
    2. Whatever shape your in, take action to get in better shape.

One last thing, check out the ADA, I don't think that any Diabetic would be refused
    care if requested.

mrsbee guest

Passing on the good karma - seeing as how so many people helped me out with my trek across country, I'm paying (some of it) forward. I can appreciate your effort to become a writer and really appreciate that you're not trying to play the pity card. I always underestimate the power of people, and the more you reach out, the more you realize you're not alone in the world.

And dude, you need some health insurance. Even I have health insurance. I'm queen irresponsible, but hey, it's worth it. And ditto on what the Baby Bee up top said - also - most pharmacies will work on with you on cost of medication and testing supplies. You can also visit some of the drug company websites and they offer assistance plans for those that need help. Look into it.

bcweir

I have experienced another setback. My attempt to get enrolled in health insurance has been thwarted by another problem. I have been laid off from my current job. I was barely able to afford health insurance while employed. The COBRA rates (aptly named, considering the prohibitive cost) put health insurance beyond my reach now. For now I am attempting to raise funds by seeking new employment but even that will take at least three weeks before I see pay again. Meanwhile I still need to eat, afford my medication, and I still have to pay my bills. Selling my book to raise funds. Thank you again all and God Bless you all! http://www.xybears.com

The Bring Money With you's are always crushing my budget. In a couple weeks though, you can sign up for medicare at healthcare.gov, they cannot refuse you... should be around $50/mo.

bcweir

Medicare? I'm not as old as you think I am. As far as that's concerned, I'm too young for Medicare as I am only 45 years old (I think the minimum is 55). I also don't qualify for Medicaid in Texas as I am not on disability, I'm not unemployed, and I do not have dependent children.

shelbyvnt Baby Bee...

I was 50 when I got my T-2 Diagnosis, my doc sent me to school to learn about the adjustments that Diabetes requires us to make. Basically, you need to learn about the carbohydrate content in the foods you eat & drink.
    More carbs, more blood sugar, less carbs, less blood sugar, the trick is to achieve the balance that keeps you in the healthy range. You should check out these classes, know your enemy. Right?

bcweir

Sounds great! Where can I find these classes and how do I afford them? I am unemployed and have no health insurance. I live in the Dallas Fort Worth area in Irving, TX

shelbyvnt Baby Bee...

If you're serious about learning about your condition, I can help. If you're interested, you can find me at my office at 8000 Bent Branch Dr. also in Irving TX. Sign in at the security desk & ask the attendant to call ext. 1579.
    I generally take lunch at 12:30, take this invitation & I'll buy you lunch. We can talk about the basics of dietary control over lunch.

bcweir

I will definitely meet with you! Thanks again. Who shall I say am I meeting up with?

You can private message me with that info so that you won't have to post your name in public chat. Thank you again!

:)