Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

New BMW Z4M Owner

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by jbmaher, Aug 26, 2014.

jbmaher

BMWZ4M7.jpg Just purchased a 2008 Z4M and love it. :D Would love to know: 1) What are some great performance upgrades, and 2) Suggestions for creature comfort accessories?

MGarrison

Welcome to the club & forums! Peruse the Z4 model section of the forums, maybe some info there of interest.

jbmaher

will do. thanks

charlson89

First welcome to the club and nice looking ride! Second what kind of performance are you looking for, more hp, better handling?

jbmaher

Both handling and HP, but I will admit that it handles pretty nice right now. Also looking for comfort accessories. Saw some accessories like side of the center console cup holders made by "ultimate cupholder" along with trunk lid accessory bags and wanted to know if these are nice accessories for travel/packing? Thanks

charlson89

Well I would start with some modest mods like a cold air intake. AFE makes a nice kit with a heat blocker. Make sure though you don't go with a intake that goes down in the bumper if your going to drive the car in rain. Mainly because a lot of people forget they have the intake and go threw a deeper then they though puddle and suck up water and can damage the engine. Another good upgrade for your engine is a software for the DME (engine control unit). By getting good tune it can really bring the car to life but make sure you use a good tuning company like dinan for example. Under drive pulleys will free up about 10 hp. And of course upgrade the muffler but that really only get you maybe 1 or 2 horses but does sound a lot nicer. Those are the modest mods of course you could go bigger and do euro header, CSL intake, 4.11/3.91 rear diff, ess supercharger.

The suspension is the same way how aggressive do you wanna go. The M cars really have a nice suspension already and getting any more can cause you to give up some ride comfort. Bigger sway bars always help but not to large either. Replace the rubber bushings with polyurethane from powerflex. Tires are a huge part of the handling on the car make sure you have a good set of tires. Other then that it's kind of getting to the big stuff like coil overs strut tower bars in rear.

A couple other upgrades I would say to look into is a clutch stop from UUC, short shifter (really nice for the shift times). Also remove the clutch delay valve so you can drive the car how it should be.

As for accessories I can only really recommend one and that was the dice media bridge. I gave my car bluetooth music playing and ipod intergration with steering wheel control. Also I like the BSW speakers made a huge difference in one of my cars. Hope all this helps if you have any other questions please ask.

jbmaher

Thanks - I have a couple of follow up to your great insights:
    1. AFE cold air intake they show 2 - Pro 5 R and Pro Dry S, so which is better or what are the differences?
    2. Can you explain under drive pulleys (nor sure what they are)?
    3. Any preferred muffler upgrade in terms of brand and is stainless steel the best way to go? What about exhaust header upgrades?
    4. I saw a posting about Forgeline rims (large in back that than front and lightweight) and Nitto Tires. Are there other combinations Z4M drivers really like?
    5. I have an Android Note 2 - will the media bridge work with it?

You've been a great help and I really appreciate all this info for a newby like me. I am taking the car in for its 40,000 mile servicing in a couple of weeks and I considering having all these done at the same time.
    :)
    John

charlson89

The difference between the pro 5 and pro dry s is one is oiled and one is not. I would suggest the pro dry s since the oil can damage your mass airflow meter. As for muffler yes to do go with stainless. To be honest a muffler is kinda a personal preference as what you want your car to sound like. Look at clips of different ones on youtube to see which you like most. forgeline rims and nitto tires are great ones. I really say you don't have to change rims just make sure you have good rubber thats the big one. Yes the media bridge does work with android systems never tested it but they say it does. The header you have a lot of choices only problem is your catalytic converters will have to be moved down stream to the mid pipe which is pricy to keep your car legal and no check engine light. The best headers are made by super sprint but are really pricy. My suggestion would be to look at the euro headers for your engine. Just do a search on the forums and you'll find tons of write up on it.
    Oh and I other suggestion is before doing all these upgrades let the techs do a look over on the car at the 40k service to make sure nothing is wrong with you new purchase first, just a thought if it were me.

t

jbmaher

Fantastic help. Thanks and I'll let you know how this all turns out when I get it completed next month!

bschoby

I have the trunk lid storage you mentioned. It is a nice option, allows you to store a few small items without clutter. If you get one, be sure to check the plastic anchors, I've heard some have a sharp point instead of a rounded point and they can cause slight dents in the deck lid.

Take a look at http://www.mymcoupe.com for some other ideas. I have done the seatbelt guide mod and it did help.

bschoby

Oh, I forgot, congrats on the purchase!

Ken.S.330

Nice. Probably the best upgrade is a driving school.
    charlson89 likes this.

jbmaher

Just acquired AFE Cold Intake and it was an easy install. Nice upgrade IMHO. Now, I am thinking about Rogue Engineering El Diablo Muffler system

charlson89

Looks like the Z may have some more pep in her step and a bit of noise to :)

jbmaher

That's what I am going for. Just wish I could find them for less than $1,195 somewhere perhaps on sale

jbmaher

Considering putting Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my 2008 Z4M. Would appreciate any thoughts or inputs on:
    1. The car can take 245/40 front and 275/35 rear tires on the OEM Wheels and the price is almost the same as the 225 and 255's currently on the car (right now, I have run flats and want to replace them - almost worn out). Which pair combination is better for comfort and handling?
    2. Any issues with the car side panels getting rocks or pebbles flying outside the wheel well to damage the paint since these protrude about 3/4" further out?
    3. Any other thoughts? Thanks - John

charlson89

Wider is better for handling but yes on the z4 you can get rock chips. But 3M does make a nice clear bra kit to protect this. And the super sports I think are great tires for every day use.

jbmaher

This was advice I received from some other technical folks on ZEE Club (Facebook) and would appreciate anyone's thoughts about what they said:
    "Do NOT put 275's on OEM 9" wheels - they aren't wide enough. 265 is the widest you can go without the tire bowing outwards in the middle. Pilot Super Sports are great tires, though not so good in the winter (max performance summer tires = warm weather only). I would recommend 235/40/18 and 265/35/18. 275 width tire works best on a 10" wheel, but it will work on a 9.5" wheel too. Stock M wheels are 8" front, 9" rear = 225 width front, 255 rear tires.

A general rule:
    8" wheel = 235 +/- 10
    8.5" wheel = 245 +/- 10
    9" wheel = 255 +/- 10
    9.5" wheel = 265 +/- 10
    10" wheel = 275 +/- 10

FYI, the widest rear tire that will fit without rubbing on a Z4M is a 275, depending on your wheel offsets. 285's can work if they have round sidewalls. Square sidewall 285's (like Star Specs) will rub. You can't go much wider than that without fender rolling."

I also received a post and then had a chat with Tire Rack.com that a 235/45 front and 265/40 rear ought to also work, and with the slightly additional tire height, it's my understanding that tire height helps with comfort (but I don't want to weaken performance).

Thoughts?

charlson89

True on the tire heights won't effect performance all that much unless you go crazy on it. If thats is what the z guys are running on your rims I would stick with that. To wide of a tire can also cause issues on a rim that is to small. Either way you are upgrading from your already balding tires.

MGarrison

I replied in your other thread, but just fyi, no need to double-post, the forums "What's New" shows all new posts, so those who follow the forums won't miss anything new. Good luck w/ the new tires whatever you opt for!