Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Noobie

Discussion in 'F22 (2014–)' started by 3.0L, Jul 12, 2014.

3.0L

First post, new member. Just purchased my first-ever BMW a little over 2 months ago. M235i. I'm really, really enjoying the car. It puts a huge smile on my face every time I drive it.

I realize I have quite a lot yet to learn about my new ride and the BMW culture in general, so thought I would join the experts!

Later, I need to do some searches and get some advice regarding my first oil change. Car just passed 2500 miles.
    Ken.S.330 likes this.

charlson89

Welcome very fun car!

MGarrison

I _think_ your owner's manual should discuss your first oil change, somewhere in there. Not sure if it recommends an early oil change or not. IF you plan to own this car for the long haul, whether bought or leased, I'm probably not the only one that would say an "early" oil change, at a very minimum, can't hurt. BMW, for some time now, is recommending oil changes at something like 13 thousand to 15 thousand miles. If there's a flip side, we would have to presume BMW would not recommend such an interval IF it was damaging to the engine. However, BMW's interest presumably also extends only to the length of the warranty. It is owners, & perhaps dealers, that have a more-vested interest in the longevity of the engine & all other mechanicals. However, unless your dealer is really, really generous, don't expect them to pony up for an oil change prior to what the condition-based service system calls for. Oil changes prior to what BMW recommends will be your judgment call.

jpccarguy

Consider Blackstone Labs for oil analysis if you plan to keep your car long-term. They will run a pretty detailed profile of engine wear when you submit an oil sample. They will also determine how well your oil is working, such as loss of viscosity.

YMMV,

John

mrsbee guest

Wahoo, welcome to the club full of the coolest kids, the hottest cars, and the driest jokes in the world (yes, world).

No, seriously, welcome to the club. You'll find that once you break into your local club and start meeting people they'll be a wealth of knowledge in regards to who to trust in the area and where to take your baby for oil analysis. I do *most* of my own work, but then again, my car is getting pretty old. The technology is still understandable. I took a peek under the bonnet of a new 235 (not an M) and was kind of puzzled. I promptly closed the hood and went back to fiddling with the radio.

shelbyvnt Baby Bee...

Wow! "Overhead Fanshaft"

Living in Dallas, TX, I thought I knew quite a bit about "Fan Shafts",
    but now they come as an option on the M235i...

If I were in the market for a new BMW, the M235i would be my first choice.
    Hear it's coming out as a drop top soon, but I'm still in control until they offer
    it in Atacama Yellow.;)

solarphil

BMW is gettin more realistic about service intervals -- my M235i is counting down to intervals of 10,000 miles, not the old 15k. Even that's too long IMHO, but at least it's in the ballpark with synthetics. I did a preemptive oil change at 1200 miles because it's cheap insurance, and figure on splitting the factory service intarvals with DIY changes every 5k miles.

As an old wise friend of mine said, lube is cheap. Hardware is expensive.

Hi.

I change oil on any new engine w/i 1000 miles.

Need opinions: I drove an automatic M235i last month. While C&D said that the steering feedback/feel showed up only when car was pushed, that wasn't true in this example.

Not a fan of electric power steering.

Is C&D wrong, or am I?

Be honest, we can both take it.

PS: Also looking at Audi S3, but this - for now- comes only with DCT. Next yr, Audi may offer stick and VW will offer same car (almost) with stick.

shelbyvnt Baby Bee...

Drove a 2006 M-Roadster for a few years, hydraulic power steering, all is well
    Drove a 2010 335i for two years, also hydraulic power steering, all is well.
    Driving a 2011 Z4 35is since 2012, variable assist electric power steering, all is well.

I don't track my cars, don't push them hard on the street either, but put about 25,000 miles
    on all 3 cars. If there is a significant difference in the power steering supply system, I have
    not found it yet.

If you like the car, I would not let the steering hold you back.

Thanks, but while the steering was accurate, I value feedback very much. I do push cars, here & there.

Have had 3 Lotus cars, currently Elise, and love all aspects of their steering.

MGarrison

With the caveat that I've never driven an Elise or BMW w/ the electric steering...

I seem to recall comments from maybe Satch &/or a Roundel article or two that the electric steering is noticeably different but they also got used to it to where it wasn't an issue.

Elise & M235 seem like such different cars to me - I'd guess the Elise is like razor-sharp performance, probably a great track car, at the expense of comfort & practicality, vs. the bimmer, which would up the comfort/convenience ante while being track-able & fun-to-drive, perhaps something more convenient for every-day usage. Unless the Elise is a lease (ha, ha), if part of the picture is any number of track days, not sure how much I'd want to swap it for the M235, plus the factor that apparently regulations have precluded Lotus from being able to continue business in the U.S., meaning a new Lotus later on ain't likely to be happenin' anytime soon, if you particularly like Loti. However, if the Elise is your only vehicle/dd, I could easily see how it might not be an ideal everyday car - or, if it were at the point of needing expensive or nuisance maintenance, then perhaps time to move on.

On paper, at least, if you're swapping toy-for-toy, considering driving dynamics vs. streetability, seems like the Lotus is pretty purposeful, after which you start heading towards either way expensive (Noble? Ferrari?) or far less practical (Ariel Atom?) to keep similar driving dynamics. BMW's are great cars in their own right in many respects, but sports sedans are trackable street cars, & presumably the Lotus is much more biased towards track-like driving dynamics while remaining streetable.

shelbyvnt Baby Bee...

Okay, In light of the recent disclosures, I agree with MGarrison, more shopping may be required.
    Unless you're looking for a larger car, there are other choices out there that offer legendary performance,
    for Elise type money. If I were looking for a new roadster & could wrestle my check book away from my wife,
    I might be tempted to visit my friends in Stuttgart. I have it on good authority that they offer my favorite color too.

Thanks, but I already own the Elise and certainly not cross-shopping. The question pertained to electric steering.

When Porsche introduced their EPS, the writers were unhappy. But, then same writers drove many other EPS cars and began to praise Porsche (which hadn't changed their cars or steering).

BTW, S3 also had EPS, but I got feedback and feel.

Really looking for someone who drives an M235i pretty hard on occasion.

Edit: PS - I may never sell the Elise; favorite car of all time.