Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Slow AC leak trouble shooting tips (E46 M3)

Discussion in 'E46 M3 (2001-2006)' started by mpower8, Sep 10, 2013.

mpower8

I suspect that I have a slow leak in the AC system. Any tips on troubleshooting and repairs?

I already paid about $300 to the dealer for testing of the AC last summer and refilling. The AC worked fine till a month back and now I noticed warm air from passenger side of the middle vent.

The car 2006 M3 with 41k miles on it.

Thanks

charlson89

Did they add dye to the system when they serviced it? The dye can be seen with a black light and is the best way to find a leak. Another way is to use a A/C sniffer to help locate it but it doesn't work well if your to low on refrigerant.

Terry Sayther

Exactly right. But if they charged and dyed it a year ago and it lasted until recently, you may have a one year leak, which is not bad. If that's what it is, I'd evacuate it and charge it again, add more dye and see if it lasts another year. Warm air from the pass side is a common symptom of low freon. Cross your fingers---Terry

mpower8

Thanks guys, they did add the dye and could not see any leak and suspect evaporator leak - more time to check that.

the issue is that it $150 for every recharge...is there a cheaper way to recharge - DIY?

charlson89

Not really any way to properly recharge correctly with out the proper equipment. Did you check your evaporator drain for the dye? If anything recharge will more dye and recheck in a month and use a sniffer.

Raucky88M3

I ended up being diagnosed with a small leak from the back side of the condenser. It wasn't readily apparent, even with dye, until the radiator was pulled as part of a preventive maintenance at 110k miles. It does seem as though the AC Pro has slowed the leak somewhat. I think next spring will call for a complete evac and charge as I can't seem to get the AC Pro to fill to the 'green' pressure level.