Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Where's the M5's?

Discussion in 'E60 M5 (2006-present)' started by TurboChris, May 21, 2008.

TurboChris guest

I hear nothing but an echo in here..........hello?? :)

Dennis215 guest

Hi New M5 owner here

emzo

Hello From Pacific Grove Ca

I am here now too. Usually hang out at the m5board.

ROD HEYES guest

So, there are now 4 of us using the M5 site!

Question if I may. If either of you have the SMG transmission, do you find it "jerky" in the automatic mode?

I'm looking for the smoothest automatic ride in everyday traffic and am finding the pause between gears a bit rough. I have tried the level 1 transmission mode per my dealer recommendation.

My recent '08 550 had such a smooth, strong, power application. Just wondering if my M5 is capable of this kind of ride?

Thanks if you have any feedback.

emzo

Smooth

Welcome!

I know exactly what you mean, its never going to be as smooth as an automatic.
    This has become the biggest adjustment for me too.
    Actually I like it in 3 or 4 shift setting for around town driving, or shift it myself. letting up on the gas just a little while you shift. Also, when going 20-30mph, put it in nuetral and pull both + and - shift paddles back. This adjusts the clutches. Good luck, Mike

If you reall want to know more about your M5, visit
    http://www.m5board.com

wolfdoc23 guest

New 2008 M5 owner here. Traded in an E55 for it today. The SMG is quite an adjustment for me, but so far I love the car. Had a 2000 M5 4 years ago...it turned out to be a lemon. I'm hoping for better luck this time around.

DougLawson guest

I have a manual transmission...Any suggestions for turn the DSC off?

Jayspeed999 guest

New member here

Hi,

I just purchased a 2006 M5 and am happy to be back with an M car again. My last M was a 2001 M Coupe. I hope to get some track time in with my new V10.

Herb Powers Jr

Hi: Just Joined the online, been a member for years reading Roundel, I have a 2006 Silverstone M5 I read the M5board for info, busy schedule but will be around sometimes.
    Best to you
    Herbjr

Mr. BMW

///M5 owner saying hello.

Gonzogonzilla

You can only turn off the DSC if the M5 is 2008 or later, from what I understand. I've got a 6 speed and it's always ON. From what I understand it has to do with people torquing the drivetrain to ridiculous kW and thus making problems for BMW warranties. I guess they've beefed up the drivetrains, though I don't know for sure.

IndiRedM5 guest

New M5 owner here and 1st time BMW owner as well. I love this car...!
    Indianapolis Red 08'

IndiRedM5 guest

You are correct. I have turned off the DSC and set the M-mode to S6, the car is ridiculous it will just anileate the tires in 1st and spin a little in 2nd and chirp the all the way thru 4th....WoW

CSBM5

BMW released a s/w update so earlier owners of 6MT E60 M5s can now fully disable DSC. See the thread(s) on the m5board if you need the bulletin number -- some dealers are clueless.

treybn guest

M5 owner checking in... 2006 smg 26k miles.... what a riot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hyptgoldnz guest

Hey, Greg here...I'm selling my 06 M5 I.B. maxed 48k...21 thousand miles..love it but must make room 7/70 warranty 7/70 tire and wheel also..Been on the M5board for some years....hello all:)

kingtiger guest

New to me

I just picked up this 2008 M5 with only 8,900 miles on it at the Nashville BMW dealer. I went to get my wife a new Mini Clubman and I saw this car as well and I never owned a BMW. I told the dealer I was not interested in a 'trainee' starter BMW as I had no idea of what the M5 is. Now I do. It is NOT a 'trainee' starter BMW.

wanesso

new M5?

So, I think I saw a 2011 M5---is that possible? It's not even listed on the bmw site...

wanesso

question of M5's

..and here's another question; why isn't there an M5 coupe? Is the M3 coupe just sooooo darn good it wouldn't compete?:D

wanesso

M5 forum

So there seems to be no interest in the M5 around here....I'm goin' back to my M3 friends who care about their car!!:confused: