Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Sending Google Maps Addresses to iDrive

Discussion in 'F30 (2012-present)' started by ldamario, Sep 24, 2013.

ldamario

There is a BMW Assist feature that allows one to send street addresses from Google Maps to iDrive on the BMW. The addresses show up in the Messages section in either the Office menu or the Connected Drive menu. I found out recently that this feature had stopped working. Google Maps would say that an address had been successfully sent to the car, but the address never showed up in the Messages menu. I called BMW Assist, and they told me that there is currently a problem with this service. Google Maps made some change on their end that is incompatible with BMW's software. The problem is being worked on, but I was not given any expected time for resolving the problem.

charlson89

Not aware of this issue yet. I have had vehicles had bad combox before that wouldn't show the data.

charlson89

This issue with google has been resolved and should now be working normally.

ldamario

This feature is working again.

RetAF95

??? I can't find Send To Car on either my desktop Google Maps, nor on my iPhone app. Just purchased a '13 F30 with Nav, and would like to know how to use this feature, if indeed it is there.

ldamario

In Google Maps on your destop computer, after searching for a location or an address, look in the panel on the left. You will see the word "more". Click on the downward pointing arrow and select "send". This will bring up a window where you can select "Car" and then "BMW" from the dropdown menu.

RetAF95

Hmmm. On my Mac, using Safari, Google maps accessed via my Google account, I don't see a "More" button anywhere.

RetAF95

Alright - Making some progress. Turns out I had the Modern (or some such thing) version of Maps running. Switched back to the Standard version, and found the More button. Now, how do I find my BMW Assist Account Name?

ldamario

It's the email address you use for your user name to access your BMW account at the BMW web site.

RetAF95

Yeah, I'm figuring this out. I don't think my local dealer explained this very well to me. I'll be getting in touch with them on Monday, to get this sorted out. Also, called BMW Assist today, and learned that, if I understood them correctly, their 'service' costs $200 per year, to get the Concierge service, and the ability to send maps/addresses to the iDrive in my car. Heck, my iPhone can do that, for free (well, I already pay the monthly service fee for that!). Right now, I don't see myself paying *that* fee!

ldamario

I don't think what the dealer told you is correct. I have never had the Concierge service, and sending addresses to my BMW has always worked for me.

RetAF95

Well, while this is not my first BMW, it is the first one that's a CPO car. So, I'm learning. Thanks for your patient replies to my inquiries.

cal113

does this feature work with iphone?

ldamario

As far as I can tell, the answer is no.

ratucker3

I downloaded an app on iPhone and iPad.....my bmw remote.....there is map function within their apps (very nice by the way) you can search location and send it to car....app is free and no charge.....comes into my 328 in iMessage format and just bring that as a destination.......nice feature!