Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2009 328xi rear brake service

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by shyammichael, Jul 8, 2014.

shyammichael

Hi All-

I need to have my rear brakes done soon and was curious if anyone had suggestions on brake pads that were non-OEM BMW? Any good experiences with other brands or less brake dust etc? Also, will I need to have rotors replaced as well? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm guessing a BMW dealer won't install any parts that I bring, but curious if there are better options than factory.

Thanks in advance.

Shyam

MGarrison

Rotors would be replaced if they're worn down to or beyond minimum specs, whatever that is - you'd have to measure your rotor thickness with a micrometer that has a wide-enough opening to know more exactly; generally, if your rotors don't have a substantial lip on the edges or are warped, they may quite likely be just fine. If your driving entails lots of heavy braking, your wear rate could be higher than typical for a given mileage. Stock rotors are perfectly fine for normal street usage. Axxis or PBR ceramic pads should work fine. I don't know why a dealer might not install parts you provide, but they obviously wouldn't warranty them.

shyammichael

Thanks! Would you recommend just staying with what the dealer recommends? If OEM pads are the best I don't mind just was seeing if others were better? I spend a lot of time in heavy traffic.

charlson89

For normal driving I think the OE are the best both rotors and pads.

shyammichael

Thanks I'm going to stick with OE pads and rotors from my dealer. Appreciate the help!