Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Dashcam anyone?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Electronics' started by eblue540, Feb 16, 2014.

eblue540 Fourth Gen Bimmers

So, as much fun as the Russian Dashcam sub-genre of Yout-Ube is to watch, I have found myself wondering of late how useful these might be, given the daily scene of distracted driving hi-jinks to be seen out my front and rear windows while on my daily drives. Has anyone out there installed or have you installed a Dashcam set up in your US car?

raichean

Ironically enough I will be working with one soon. I have partnered with AvinUSA and their Avant-2 android deck into my E46 M3. I have the deck installed plus rear backup camera (OMFG that is fantastic!) and will have a new DVR dashcam from them within a week.

Looking forward to images and install advice. I see Garmin makes one of these now.

raichean

Thanks and will do.. here is a link for the guides I have done thus far, including the back up camera and stereo deck. The backup camera was a significant challenge considering no one said it could be done. 8)

http://1drv.ms/1kvpFvv

Wow! Your install reports are very impressive. Very well detailed and the photos are clear, well lite and well annotated. Thanks for sharing!

raichean

Thanks! The guides started with the bow cylinder repair as it was something I needed to figure out and was given a ridiculous repair bill estimate! The only shop that said they could do it was quoting me $2500.. I did it for $8 in shipping! (Would have been $400 normally but partnered with the hydraulic repair shop) Still significantly better!

The funny thing about the dashcam is that I Am really not THAT excited about doing it! The stereo deck was an unbelievable upgrade and the backup camera with the E46 vert blindspot is fantastic. AvinUSA is sending me the dashcam to do the install guide and all again, but I am kinda "meh" to the idea. I am going to do it anyway, but see if I can mount it high and essentially behind the mirror and mostly hidden.

Will see when it gets here I guess.. I *strongly* recommend the Avant-2 if you haven't changed the deck in your 02 325 btw. 8)