Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

default font size, colors, readability, contrast.

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by MGarrison, May 7, 2014.

MGarrison

I know it's early going, so perhaps it's a work in progress. Light grey text on a white background, no matter where/why it appears, is a strain to read. Likewise, white text on light blue background. The "zoom" level needed on my old laptop here with 14-15" screen to view the whole page width, without scrolling, has many of the text fonts so small that, combined with little contrast between text color and background color, they're a strain to read. This might not be an issue if I was using a larger-screen more recent laptop, or had a much larger 30" flat panel display which might be the more common setup these days, but not necessarily for everyone. I don't know if any of that is part of CSS tweaking, but if so, please - do tweak! Lest you have us going blind here!
    • Staff

steven s

Give us a day or two. There is now a remember me? function. :)

MGarrison

Here's a screen shot of what it looks like on my laptop, 1280x800 resolution; about all that I find easily readable is the thread title, and the drop-down box/tab titles in black text. User configurable setups for text/colors/fonts overall-look could also address such concerns. new forums look 01.JPG
    • Staff

steven s

The forum shared some css from the old main site which is of course gone.
    I'll work on each section on by one.

Ken.S.330

Almost transparent to the user. ;)
    • Staff

steven s

Changed the font to black. Made the forum names slightly smaller.
    Gave a little more height to the title in the image above.
    Still need to get rid of some green buttons.
    Not sure what else so far.

MGarrison

Nothing comes up under the "Roundel Weekly" tab, which should at least bring up what's in the "Roundel Weekly" email, although I would be clicking it expecting to bring up that week's Roundel Weekly article - which is actually under the seemingly less-obvious "Articles" tab. The text of the Roundel Weekly articles is a large-enough font size, but in the far-too-low-contrast, harder-to-see, gray color. Make it black, and it will be readable. Since the "Articles" tab is under the Roundel Magazine tab, what I actually would expect to find there would be Roundel Articles, not Roundel Weekly articles - Roundel Weekly articles, as mentioned, I'd expect to find clicking the Roundel Weekly tab/box.

On the banner below our user pics shown with each post, the "member" text is white, virtually indiscernible on the gray banner background. That, the post count, likes received, and name text - should all be black.

MGarrison

Appears to be some minor issue with displaying of signature lines - the formatted signature in the editing box looks the way it's formatted, but the preview & what's shown with posts doesn't. Mine, for instance, is supposed to be italicized & bolded, but it's not showing that way.
    • Staff

steven s

We'll be adding content to Roundel Weekly. It's been disabled for now.
    I'll work on the member below your avatar.
    I'll take a look at the signature css over the weekend.
    ITALICS BOLD

OK. Got that figured out.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

I think the first thing they teach in Design School is that your primary objective is to prevent anybody from reading anything, ever.