Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

1993 BMW 850cilimp mode

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by sandmann, Apr 23, 2014.

sandmann

Help!!
    My name is Sandres and I live in MD. I own a 1993 BMW 850ci that started in and out limp mode
    My mechanic has checked everything possible to find out why the car goes in and out of limp mode. He is currently checking to see if there is a short somewhere. Has anyone had this problem? If so please tell me what may be causing this problem.

Owner of:
    1993 BMW 850ci
    1985 Euro BMW745i
    2003 BMW 540i
    2004 BMW 325Xi

charlson89

Now are you getting engine limp home mode or just the transmission? Also do you get any check engine lights, EP lights on the gear indicator? Do you have any faults stored at all?

sandmann

I'm only getting limp mode. It goes off and work fine for a while and suddenly limp mode and lost of power. My mechanic has checked transmission, no problem; switched out and checked MAFs, no problem, crank sensors, no problem; checked coils, no problem; checked fuel pumps, no problem. One of the engine banks ( i'm not sure left or right) is not picking up a good signal from the ecu. He switched around both and checked, no problem. Now he's checking the wiring to see if there may be a problem there. A great German mechanic, he curses the car but refuse to give up until he finds the problem.

charlson89

Yes the 8 series will give a run for your money. What faults are you getting when the vehicle is in limp mode?

Ken.S.330

Is there a pattern to when it goes into limp mode: only when hot, only at highway speed, only after a hot restart, only after a cold restart, only when the A/C is on...