Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Wheels... BBS or TSW or ?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by WendyS, Apr 12, 2014.

WendyS

Hi,
    I decided to get new wheels for summer. I have a 2009 E92 335xi. This is my daily driver, but will have a few track days in its future. I'd like to stick with the stock tire size of 225/45-17 all around. Thinking of getting Pirelli P Zero RFT, Max Performance Summer, 91W.

After a bit of research, I've narrowed the wheel search to 1) BBS SR, 17x8, 30 offset, 24 lbs, pressure cast, made in Germany; or 2) TSW Nurburgring, 17x8, 35 offset, 18 lbs, rotary forged, made in ?.

I'm not into 'bling', I just want a good quality, strong wheel that's not more than $300 and still acceptable for occasional track use. Which of these is better quality? Does the 6-lb weight difference mean that much? Are there better ones I'm missing?

I appreciate any opinions. Thanks.

MGarrison

If you're sticking with that size, one to consider is the Kosei K4R (see tirerack.com) for the least-costly, lightest wheel. The Kosei K1 is just a bit heaver, but the wider 17x8.5 width allows you to run wider tires, which might be better for track duty. I have 255's at all four corners (E92 335is) on Apex Arc-8's (recall is fuzzy, pretty sure they're the 17x8.5's, not the 17x9's). The folks at Apex have a lot of experience with BMW wheel & tire fitment. Wheel weight is important, the llighter, the better.

http://www.apexraceparts.com/apex-products/e90-e92/

K4R: 17x8, 15.5lbs, 42mm offset, $199 (might be worth asking if the Kosei's fit BMW hubs without adapter rings)
    K1: 17x8.5, 16.8lbs, 40mm offset, $175
    Arc-8: 17x8.5, 17.2lbs, 40mm offset, $249
    TSW Nurburgring: 17x8, 18lbs, 35mm offset, $232 (discounttiredirect.com)

The TSW's would make for a slightly wider track than the K4R due to the offset difference, which would be a little better for track driving purposes, although you'd probably never notice; the weight advantage goes to the K4R there; looks like fitting 225's work fine on either wheel; The Apex folks seem to be regularly back-ordered on their wheels in Hyper-Silver color, but other retailers may have the Hyper-Silver ones, like Bimmerworld.com.

I think its quite likely the K1's & Arc-8's will be around for awhile, but I always recommend buying an extra wheel when buying a set, because wheel makers are fickle, wheel models are made for awhile and then they move onto new designs - if you damage a wheel beyond repair and find it's been discontinued by the manufacturer, GOOD LUCK finding another to replace it. Happened to me!

charlson89

Personally always likes BBS.

WendyS

Thanks for the opinions... gave me more to think about.
    MGarrison: I considered increasing tire and wheel size, but was concerned about clearance. I'm surprised to hear you can have 255s with 8.5" rims on the front without issue. I do like the Apex Arc-8s. Thanks.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Jeez, Garrison, couldn't you at least give the guy a little detailed information?
    ;)
    MGarrison likes this.

Ken.S.330

Hmmm. Just picking nits and stirring the pot but I wonder if Wendy S. is a guy. Of course it could be my bias (I have many of them) leads me to think it is a girl (gal?). Unless I am just thinking of guy in a narrow sense and not in a more generic sense. Darn that diversity training course that I had to take, it makes me over think every word and its implication. :eek:

WendyS

LOL... thanks Ken.S.330, yes I am a girl... I know, not many of us out here into their bimmers. No worries, I'm not reporting anyone to HR ;). I however have scrapped the TSW idea after realizing they require hub rings. Now looking at Beyern Spartans 17"x8" with 245/45s, but still haven't completely figured out if 245/45 will rub on something on the front... the search continues.