Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E46 325Xi 2005 - Front bumper (scuffing & mild scratch)

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by debumitra, Mar 30, 2014.

debumitra

Hi,
    I have some scuffing and mild scratch marks on the lower left side of the car's front bumper, caused by a family member hitting an orange cone.They are not deep. I can hardly feel them when I slide my fingers across them.
    From the feel of it, it seems to me that the front bumper is not made of metal. Is that correct?
    Also, I was considering the "Quixx Paint Scratch Remover" for removing the scuff marks and the shallow scratch marks but the instruction manual says that it can't be used on "Dyed plastic components".
    Is the front bumper made of dyed plastic? Does anybody have experience of using Quixx Scratch Remover on such bumpers?
    What is the recommended method for removing scuff marks of scratches from such bumpers?
    Thank you.
    D Mitra

MGarrison

Somebody who knows for sure should pipe up, but I'm pretty sure the bumper covers are plastic painted to match the body color of the car. Don't know anything about scratch remover or Quixx. Have you perused Griot's Garage options?

debumitra

Thank you for your reply. I have not yet looked at any product at Griot's Garage. I am first trying to ascertain if the bumper is metal or plastic. If it is plastic, is it dyed or painted? It seems that the treatment required will depend on that. So somebody, please comment.

eblue540 Fourth Gen Bimmers

The front bumper cover is painted plastic. Bavarian autosport sells a number of products to address these kinds of scratches. The best part are the DIY videos. Type "Bavauto paint" into the search box on YouTube to see some of these.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

... you could try Krud Cutter... it works when I um er well find certain cones on the autocross course...

Ken.S.330

Krud Kutter works great on all kinds of stuff. I have used it to clean microfiber cloths and polish pads after applying paint sealant I spray it on the cloths and drop them in the washing machine (while the Mrs. is not looking). I am just too cheap to buy the cleaner that Griot's sells. It works great to take brown stains out of pants too. I sat in grease, really, no really it was grease.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Yeah, and this brown stuff I just got on my @#$!@ yellow pants is CHOCOLATE, damn it, CHOCOLATE!

Why the hell am I wearing yellow pants?!
    Ken.S.330 likes this.