Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Just had 3rd HPFP failure

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by richmalk, Feb 19, 2014.

richmalk

Last month had 2 days of hard starts, followed by rough engine, immediately going to limp home mode on highway, far from home (no fun). Got it to dealer who diagnosed my 3rd HPFP failure (last replacement 2010 on my 08 335xi). Had to wait 4 days for the part and install, with a crappy Toyota Camry loaner that couldn't go anywhere in the snow we were having. Asked BMWNA for some compensation- either a buyout to get a new F30 or an extended warranty. Rep I spoke to several times after sending a letter was very sweet and customer friendly, but final news was distributor would not help.

So, the HPFP issue is not over. The distributor is not taking care of its customers. Next car will be a 2015 Audi S4 or Subaru WRX.

Pyewacket1

I didn't think the latest and greatest HPFP to replace all HPFP's were available until sometime later than the date of your 2nd replacement in 2010.

Frankly, I don't know of any car manufacturer that would repurchase a car out of warranty by several years. After all, you have a 2008, and it's now 2014.

That's a pretty long time frame for you to have a vehicle, and then ask for replacement/buy back.

Do you have exceptionally low mileage?

If you can find a manufacturer that will do such an act, please come back and let us know.

Good luck!

richmalk

I do have very low mileage- 33,000 miles.

My request was either for a buyout or an extended warranty- both were declined. I had hoped that BMW would not be like other manufacturers and distributors and offer something, especially since they handled this whole issue so poorly from the beginning, until they were shamed to do a recall because of bad publicity, and they kept providing defective parts for almost 3 years after the car's manufacture.

cburn

I thought there was a recall on this? Do you think they are still using the defective pump? Seems to me this is a no brainer. Tell them given the past of the vehicle and how many times you've had to have this work done it's only reasonable that they foot the bill. Also, look into your states lemon laws and take legal action if that's what it takes. I'd rather give that money to a lawyer and make BMW do what's right.

ChristopherG

I am surprised it isn't already under an extended warranty. Many of the N54 engines have the HPFP covered for 10 years or 120,000 miles whichever comes first. It may be worth checking into.

richmalk

It is under extended warranty, and I did not have to pay for the repair.
    My complaint is about the persistence of this known problem for 6 years and having the inconvenience of 3 replacements (this is my car's 4th pump!). I don't trust the car anymore, and feel BMWNA should either give me an extended warranty or facilitate a buy out for a new BMW.