Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Tires on 335i

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by Lori S, May 15, 2008.

Lori S guest

Car needs a name (was Tires on 335i)

I have been tracking my new 335i since it left Germany on April 13th.
    I watched as she went from ocean to ocean and then when she got to the port in Oxnard, California and then on a truck to Northern California May 13th.
    Went to the dealer yesterday, May 14th, to be a stalker and she wasn't on the truck.
    I was bummed.
    Late yesterday I found out it/she/the car (that still needs a name) duped me.
    She arrived in the middle of the night, the night before.
    Already she is quick. I'm in love with her and I don't even know her yet.
    Soooo I saw her and touched her and introduced myself.
    She is Alpine white with grey interior and trim with sports and premium package, Nav and Sat radio and heated seat and a 6 speed. There a lot more chrome than I had expected inside and out.

Then I noticed she had no Brigestones.
    She had Michellin (sp?) Pilots.

captainaudio

Consider youself fortunate. The Bridgestones are crap.

Lori S guest

Car STILL needs a name

So you can see by my above post that I got outsmarted by my new car.
    I carefully tracked it and it snuck into the dealership late at night and those who are supposed to know these things were not aware of it.
    So like I said she is already fast and feisty.

My previous car, my 19 year old RX-7 (GSL-SE) was named PJ after Parnelli Jones.
    She was the greatest car in the world but she had absolutely no safety features except a seat belt and after 19 years I felt I needed something a bit safer.

I need some help here.

New car needs a name. I can't bond with it without a name.
    Please help me to come up with a name. Something that goes along with quick and feisty and sneaky.

I'll owe you big time.

ripster guest

just curious

Are the P-sports runflats?

Lori S guest

Yes they are runflats.

ripster guest

I wonder

I wonder if my replacement car will get p sports, I don't like the Bridgestones. Keeping my fingers crossed.

morea3ic guest

Bridgestone

Nice.

One of my vehicles originally had Bridgestones on it from the factory..

I would NOT agree to buy it until the dealer agreed (in writing - on the contract) to switch tires (wheels were the same - so they swapped wheel/tire) with another one they had with Michelins.

They didn't want to do it . . . . but eventually agreed . . . . as they wanted the sale.

I made it very clear (in a nice way) that it was a deal-breaker for me & I would not buy it otherwise.

Best.

Lori S guest

she has a name!

First, I was totally pleased she didn't come with Bridgestones. I am not a fan of that company and the way it treats its customers, at least this former customer.

New 335i coupe finally has a name.

Her name is Dini, like in Houdini.
    It's perfect.

Abe guest

Congratulations on naming your baby! I'm glad I'm not the only nut out there who loves his car so much he taks to it and calls it by name. I'm saying "it", by the way, because my wife and I have come to call our car "R2", because of the little arm that proffers the seat belt when you close the door. We're always careful to thank R2 for the courtesy it literally extends to us, lest it develop a bad motivator and have to meet IG88.
    R2 is a Graphite E92 ZSP 6 spd with grey poplar over black leather and just the most wonderful motivator I've ever driven.

E92Dreier

I am not as much of a RFT hater as some of the others here. I am also not as much of a Bridgestone hater. I drove a Michelin equipped sport package and the tires felt pretty much the same as my Bridgestones. I also have had VERY good customer service experiences with Bridgestone. Their technical assistance guys were very good when I asked questions about the short tread life of my OEM Potenzas, and their guys seemed professional and knowledgeable.

That doesn't mean that I am thrilled when I go over a barely-noticeable road surface change and my steering wheel jumps in my hands. It also doesn't mean that I am enthusiastic about the 15% higher cost of RFTs compared to typical UHP tires. My biggest gripe with the runflats is not their performance (which I find to be excellent) or their price. It is that BMW has shoved them down my windpipe.

OK, with that out of the way...I think it is hysterical when someone gets in my car, and closes the door. A first timer hears the belt-presenter and snaps their head to see what is going on behind them, only to see the arm holding the belt out...then they say, " Uh...thanks..." The next time, they are more prepared for it, and say something like "Thank you kind Sir." One feature that looks flimsy, but has worked flawlessly for me.

ripster guest

belt presenter???

o.k. then, I will show my ignorance, just what the hell is a belt presenter? I think I can guess, but clue me in anyway. My car does not present anything to anyone, except, off the line preformance as can be attested to by the supposeded hotshot in his infinity. At least he smiled as I waved to him in the rearview

az3579

The belt presenter is the mechanism that brings the seatbelt closer to you when you get in the car so you can reach is easier. It sometimes is hard to reach the seatbelt if your seat is slid forwards when you try to buckle up, so this mechanism pushes the seatbelt forward for you so you can reach it.

ripster guest

ah ha, thank you

the belt presenter must be specific to the coup and/or sedan, the belt on my drop top obviously, attaches to the seat back. Thanks for the info. Keep hangin in the left lane

Lori S guest

Belt presenter

The belt presenter is only on the Coupe to my knowledge.
    It by no means brings the belt close enough to the driver or passenger and often the presenter presents without the belt if it didn't retract properly.

Just like everything else in the car, it's fast. If you don't grab the belt as soon as it is presented, it retracts.
    Passengers do get a kick out of it and often turn and say "thank you" to it.

The dog is CLEARLY not a fan of this feature.:eek:

hbosch guest

Silly Guys!

You guys are silly! Belt presenter. Common..... Who needs this when you are shifting through your 6 speeds and busy getting this little baby around the corner?

This thing is for old, rheumatic folks that drive Benzes... LOL :)

OK, I am about to get Dinan'ized but I am worried about some of the comments made in other places. Shall I do it or not???/

E92Dreier

1. Silly? Rheumatic? Thank you for adding your "common" point of view. I will continue to enjoy the seat belt presenter each time it helps me avoid contorting myself to reach into the backseat for my belt. I will also continue to enjoy the surprised responses of virgin passengers who hear the arm reaching out for them!

2. Dinan-ized? You'll have to be much more specific to garner any meaningful responses. For instance, I could tell you that the Dinan stage II suspension on a 335i would compliment its torque and HP nicely, but is still not really up to race-track specs. That would be useless information if you were considering an exhaust and intake. So, what are you considering doing with Dinan? If I call your Dinan wheels and pedals "silly," please don't be offended. I am just in awe of your depth of wallet.

Lori S guest

I was trying to come up with a reply to that "surprising" post.
    You said it beautifully. Thank you.

E92Dreier

You sir, are a scholar and a gentleman. Thank you.

hbosch guest

Sorry guys, I was joking!

Guys,

I am sorry I offended you. It was not my intention. As a matter of fact, when I ordered my 335 Convertible last year, there were no brochures for the convertible yet and so the dealer gave me one for the coupe. It did mention the seatbelt presenter and I asked for it when I ordered my Convertible. They told me it was not an option for the Convertible.

Again, I was joking and did not mean to upset anyone.

When I talked about the Dinan upgrade, I was actually talking about the Software upgrade only and whether or not it is worth it.

Lori S guest

Thank you.
    As nice as the seat belt presenter is, it is something that I find fun but irritating. I usually put on my belt before I start the car or I start the car and take a few moments to get ready to go and by that time the presenter has presented and then withdrawn the offer (retracts.) Sometimes it presents without the seatbelt attached too.
    So it's fun, and irritating at the same time.

Personally, I would like to see it retract after the car is moving.
    That would be ideal.