Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Speaking of valve covers...

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by Touring525i4dawgs, Nov 25, 2013.

Touring525i4dawgs '02 525it M sport

Has anyone done this repair? What is skill level? I did watch both parts of the Bavarian Auto Parts video about doing this repair. It looked fairly easy but I'm sure there are pitfalls. Would be interested in any thoughts
    Thanks
    Happy Thanksgiving to all.
    • Staff

steven s

I've done 2 valve cover gaskets on different motors.
    A 1995 M42 and a 1996 M52.
    Both very easy.
    Don't know how different the E39 is.

I used picks to remove the old gaskets.
    The first valve cover was on my M52.
    I replaced the rubber washers on each bolt on the M42. Didn't think to do it on the first install.

I have not used a torque wrench securing the cover but would next time.
    Applied some High Temp RTV as illustrated in the manual. Yours might be different.

I really should have cleaned the valve covers while they were off the car. Just lazy.
    I don't like keeping the valve cover off the car any longer than I need to.

Just be sure not to drop anything. :)

Thanks Steven. I saw in the video about those rubber washers and they did advise changing them.I guess they are sold seperatly? They also mentioned something about rebuilding the vanos unit replacing the seals would you reccomend that too?
    • Staff

steven s

First getting the rubber washers on and off are tricky. For me anyway.
    I cut them off using diag cutters. Getting the new ones on I used a small socket to push them on.
    I did manage to tear one so I'd buy a couple extras. They are sold separately.

No experience with the VANOS. Mine is not noisy so I leave it alone.
    That is a question for Bob and Terry.

charlson89

Valve cover gasket is very easy job to do on your vehicle. Yes I highly recommend you replace the black orings that go around the hold down nuts. They are sold separate. Are you having any trouble with your vanos unit, if not I would leave it alone for now that can get expensive and isn't the easiest job to do either.

MGarrison

Google up as many d-i-y's as you can, check them all out, and that will help with the decision to tackle the project. Get the Bentley manual for your car - if you go for it, give yourself lots more time than you think it will take, be patient, take lots of pictures, and label everything. Don't drop anything. Nitrile gloves can help keep your hands clean.
    kmpohl and Terry Sayther like this.

Terry Sayther

great answer, great advice.

nd4spdlsc

Take care tightening the bolts up. They can snap off if you're not using a torque wrench (recommended).

I also recommend the Bentley manual. It's pretty thorough and largely correct.

kmpohl

I'm getting ready to replace the valve cover gasket on my '97 540i. My local BMW dealer quoted $750 to do it. I'm not a mechanic but I'm thinking about trying this project. Any advice?
    • Staff

steven s

There are many youtube videos on replacing valve cover gaskets on a 540.
    I'd go for it.
    Everything I was going to mention has been mentioned above.

I would use a torque wrench and buy some picks to pry out the oil gasket.
    kmpohl likes this.

charlson89

Biggest step is to make sure you clean the valve cover sealing area. There will be some paint pealing off the valve covers where the gaskets go make sure you clean all that off or your covers will leak agian. Other then that very easy job just be careful not to loose the injector clips.
    Touring525i4dawgs likes this.

The DIY video I watched from Bavarian was very exsplicit about putting parts back in correct order and tagging them ahead of time for that purpose. Guess my next step is to purchase a Bentley manual...Oh and wait for slightly warmer temps!!
    • Staff

steven s

What is an injector clip? Is this something unique do some motors?
    This is something you want to start and finish the same day. I never like the idea of having parts of the motor exposed more than I have to. I'm always afraid of something falling in or forgetting what to do.

I have a few projects waiting for warmer weather myself.

For sure this has to be a one day job. I'm searching for a garage and Have a mechanic friend to help me.

MGarrison

charlson89

The one M garrison is showing you is for the inline 6. On the M62 there are clips that hold the injectors to there electrical connections.

alpinaman

those rubber o-rings are a must to replace . ive done so many if you dont replace them they usually end up leaking

for the v8 youll need a long curved pick

i use a 1/4 drive ratchet with a short 10mm and a short extension

the short extension is from the front three bolts ( those bolts are recommended to replace because they come with the rubber griommet )

first undo the two 10's holding the injector box
    then use the hooks and one by one pry the side of the clip and pull same time from front to back

then i would use a bungee cord and suspend them in a upward position

to install the gasket because of the tight space i use VERY little yellow glue in the groove where the gasket will go

it is recommended to use black silicone ONLY on two corners of each head

sorry if its not a good explanation im on lunch break just making it fast

shayesky

It's a very easy DIY. I did mine not too long ago. You will need to remove the cabin aif filter boxes
    and snorkels for clearance. Make sure you put enough RTV on the gasket half moon itself, NOT on the valve cover. I did not, and unfortunately, I have a few drips coming from the area. Ill pull them off and reseal when it
    gets warmer. You may want to consider replacing your spark plugs as well. You don't have to remove the clips to the injector boxes, you can unscrew the 10mm nuts from the top of the rail, and just pull firmly, but this is not recommended.