Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

This car is a cop magnet-grrrr!

Discussion in 'E63/E64 (2004-2010)' started by chryscruz, Nov 18, 2013.

chryscruz

Hello, new to forum and BMWCCA. I picked up this 650i back on July and I can't believe how much it draws attention among law enforcement. I've had a perfect driving record for some 20yrs, never an accident in my 30yrs of driving. Until I got this e63 and have gotten 3 traffic tickets in 2 months, all for the dumbest things. Police follow me all the time. My best guess is that they think they're gonna score a drug bust by pulling me over. And if not, I think they figure I can afford the ticket, judging by the car I drive! Meanwhile I see everyday family cars doing whatever they please right in front of the police without impunity.

I don't drive any differently with this car than others I've owned. And technically, there is nothing incorrect about the infractions, but they're situations where I don't think they would've looked twice if it was your average family sedan. In one instance, the officer caught me "pausing" through a stop sign. He even had to explain himself (nervously)by stating that I need to come to a full and complete stop. This was a local intersection with no blind spots, the type where if you stop completely, you're likely to get rear ended. It was obvious that he felt foolish about stopping me, but he gave me the ticket anyway . . . 2pts on my license.

I almost want to get rid of this car, but I love it so much. So now I have to literally drive like a saint for fear of losing my license. I'm not an aggressive driver by any means, but it kinda kills the joy doing 70 in a 65 in the middle lane while everyone is going around me at 80-85. It's almost unfair. In my 30 yrs of driving some 15 or so different cars and motorcycles, I've never experienced anything like this. Is it me, or does anyone else here see the same amount of attention from the police??
    • Staff

steven s

I think cops have it in for BMWs.
    I've gotten warnings while driving a 1990 Mazda MX6 and 2003 Mini. Even a warning in a rental.
    Always handed a ticket when driving a BMW. Even a bottom of the line BMW.

Terry Sayther

I get warnings all the time! Maybe it helps that I'm old. Also I'm always friendly to cops, talk to them.
    • Staff

steven s

Might depend in what area you are in.
    When I lived around the Capital Beltway it didn't matter how polite you were.
    I was waiting to make a left turn in a left turn lane while waiting for the left green arrow and a cop turned on his lights and over the speaker told me to go straight. He told me there was too much traffic.

charlson89

I don't get bothered in my 325i to much but when ever I'm driving the M they come in flocks to follow me and pull me over.

chryscruz

We'll at least I'm not alone. I also have an e39 and started my BMW life in an e36, not once was I ever bothered in those. I guess this 650 really catches their eye. Told you to go straight because there was too much traffic?? That's hilarious.

Dragkar

Yes, friend. Had the same problem with my 2008, 750Li. Had 5 tint tickets in less than 12 month period. All cars in my garage(since 2001) had all windows tinted and I would usually be pulled over for tint once in two years. Some cars I drove 3+ more years, not a single ticket for tint. Now 750li is a total ticket magnet! It's hard to explain why but I noticed that cops indeed attracted to it a lot more than to some other cars.
    Once it went to a point you may call RIDICULOUS.. One cop saw me getting on hwy so he had to cross at least three lanes of heavy incoming traffic(creating least to say dangerous maneuver) and then forced all other cars in front of him to get off hwy shoulder. I saw all that in my rear mirror. To tell you the truth I had plenty of time to get on hwy 5 times faster(if I wanted to). I thought there was some kind of emergency so I didn't really pay any attention to that. Cops always rush somewhere here in New York City. If I only knew it was all about my tint....? huh :confused: $80 window tint, all windows locked for one week, being chased by cop who drives like a maniac that's PRICELESS!

My advise. Find law office that works with traffic tickets and fight back everything you get.

LLKline

Human beings are such flawed individuals especially when they are given authority of any kind:(
    I have only had my M since Aug and don't drive it much so I have been lucky but 2 pts for rolling a stop sign or too much traffic, go straight? That is so lame.

drummerfc

I don't know about law enforcement attraction to you/your Bimmer, but IMO driving this marque sure does attract the IDIOTS! I'm talking about those who lolly-gag in the left lane and refuse to pull over, or worse - those that simply slowly pull into your lane while you are bearing down on them at the speed limit, causing you to lock the brakes up.

Maybe it's just drivers in general, and I'm being paranoid. :p

wellardmac Ninja World Traveler

I tend to agree. I've seen way more asshat BMW owners than cops behaving badly. I've never had a problem driving my BMW, but then again I don't roll through stop signs, don't have illegal tints, and tend to keep my M at a reasonable speed on public roads.... I guess that must be it.
    • Staff

steven s

Rude and inconsiderate drivers drive all makes and models.
    If anyone thinks BMW is at the top of the list it's just because you are more aware of the marque.

Actually, no, BMW owners do have a very strong reputation for poor behavior and studies have shown BMWs to come out pretty high (I believe there was a study this year that put us at the top). Personally, I would also put Toyota Prius drivers right up there also.

Pretty sad.
    • Staff

steven s

I googled a study. Based on 3000 drivers. Some study.
    I still don't find BMW drivers and more/less rude than anyone else.
    Perhaps it depends on your area more than the marque?

Could be. I've not noticed a problem with BMW drivers in Europe or Asia - maybe it's just a US problem. ;)

Mikekugel

Envy is supposed to be a sin. I drive a red 850CI, and no tints. So far I must be lucky, as I do have a bit of fun,,, once in a while. That being said, a gal in a Z4 almost T-boned me in a parking lot the other day. She was in the wrong lane, and driving way fast, and wasn't even paying attention. Here in Cal. also watch out for those kamikaze Prius drivers!

Dragkar

I totally agree with this point because from what I see on the road everyday most Infinity coupe/sedan drivers act like the law does not exist for them. Anyway the question here is not about the people behind the wheel it's about Cop magnet.

chryscruz

Hmmm. Haven't visited this thread in a while, seems it has grown. What I notice the most in my area are Nissan Altima drivers being quite aggressive behind the wheel. Not sure what the deal is with that. Meanwhile I'm still getting a lot of looks from police, but I've resorted to putting medical license plate frames and a sticker on the car, since I work in a hospital. Not sure if that helps, but I do know that they tend to give some professional courtesy . . . If you're the guy who gave me a ticket, it would suck if you someday ended up in my emergency room!

drummerfc

Gotta second this.

I see the many/varied responses, and I have to agree with Steven who retorted "Rude and inconsiderate drivers drive all makes and models"...Amen!

Personally, I was speaking to the general, prevailing mentality out there these days that if you happen to be successful and lucky enough to drive a BMW, you are somehow a criminal getting away with murder. And I was just wondering if that happens to manifest itself in people's bad driving habits (ie hogging the passing lane, cutting drivers off, etc.). Obviously I can't prove that...but sometimes I have to wonder.....:rolleyes: