Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

New to the forum with my 2000 528. tail light stays on issue

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by mcormg1, Nov 9, 2013.

mcormg1

5 speed, sport shift automatic, 180,000 kms. I have stripped the engine compartment to the block and replaced cooling system, belts, hoses, sensors, fan couplings, pulleys, seals, plugs, gaskets etc. New calipers, rotors, pads. synthetic everything. Love this car! The electrics are the only thing I really worry about and currently have an issue. One tail light and one park light will sometimes stay on after shut down. This has been happening sporadically but the last few days my battery has run down over night and wont start the car. I assume they are inter-related. Anyone have ideas where to start. Electrics not my strong point

charlson89

Welcome to the club and forum! As for you light issues is it always one side of parking light and tail light or does it switch?

mcormg1

Thanks for the welcome note. My taillight and parking light drivers side will occasionally stay on after shut down.
    Always the same side. I read somewhere that turning the car off with a blinker light on will keep it on as a european safety thing. Could that be right or do I have a ground issue? Thanks

charlson89

yes that is true it's called pathway lighting and is a feature on BMW's.

nd4spdlsc

Pathway lighting is throwing the high beams on after shutting off the car and before opening the door. Putting the signal on one side lights up the park lamps on that side. You may have a lighting control module issue. It'd be odd to short both lights off two circuits with power. They'd be on randomly when the car was running as well and the LCM would throw a warning as it checks the circuit off resistance in the circuit.

MGarrison

Welcome to the club & forums!