Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

I hope this doesn't sound like a silly question, but...

Discussion in 'Oktoberfest 2014' started by bcweir, Aug 29, 2013.

bcweir

...is there a reason why a festival called "Oktoberfest" seems to be becoming more and more afraid of its namesake month (October)? This year it was held in AUGUST. Now I see that next year it's going to be held in JUNE?? I'm from New Orleans, Louisiana, and not even Mardi Gras and Easter are "all over the map (calendar)" like Oktoberfest is. At this rate, Oktoberfest will be held in January in no time. I hope you won't be choosing a snowy location then. :)

CRKrieger

The original reason we didn't use October was that many folks wanted to bring along their school-age children - and October was inconvenient. The greater reason now is weather. Anywhere north of the Mason Dixon line can be crappy in October. For instance, we've had snowstorms the first week of October here that would put a real damper on the driver schools and concours events at Oktoberfest. As anyone who was here two years ago can tell you, the Wisconsin weather during Oktoberfest was perfect. Finally, it depends on facilities availability, which can vary all over the place. Organize one one of these days and you'll see ... ;)
    • Staff

steven s

You do know Oktoberfest in Germany begins in September?
    naterisch likes this.

ChristopherG

Surprised there is a date and location posted already. Hope to make the drive out for next years event.
    • Staff

steven s

The date is normally announced at Ofest. Very few times the following Ofest location was uncertain.

bcweir

A damper? Possibly, not to mention potentially more expensive, but maybe more entertaining. "Hey I didn't know that the DE just became a DRIFTING competition.... uh oh...the announcer declares that the difficulty rating of this DE course just skyrocketed from 'Beginner' to 'Uber-master.'

03BeastCharmer

Well I don't think the DE/weather issue will be a problem, as I understand there isn't a DE planned for 2014.

dmmai

Interesting ...
    I wondered about that. The nearest tracks with facilities are at least a couple of hours away.
    Do you know if it's official at this point?

Thanks
    • Staff

steven s

There is officially no track although the Rocky Mountain Chapter might be hosting a DE the weekend before at High Plains (East of Denver).

skierman64

I'd hope to see the local chapter do a 3,4 or 5 DE in association with a race school and club race like we had at Mid Ohio in 2012.
    • Staff

steven s

Most likely it will be a regular 2 day event.

skierman64

Bummer, for me it's 12 hours one way. That's a long way to go for a 2 day event.

dmmai

Eight hours for us. Not close but, do-able.
    Two days at High Plains + a few days taking in OktoberFest at Vail. :)
    The only minor problem is lodging for the DE.
    There are a couple of little places nearby, both already booked.
    The nearest available rooms are around D.I.A. roughly 50-60 minutes away from the track.
    Oh well ... not much different from the Columbus commute.
    I've got my rooms booked.

ChestertheK

Come to Arizona in Sept-Oct and leave the kids at home. Oktoberfests are adult functions

ChestertheK

OH Colorado is also beautiful in September

LLKline

I love CO. I can't manage that drive but I would be happy to fly in for the experience of my first O'fest!
    • Staff

steven s

I drove from Maryland to Keystone Colorado.
    If you can find a caravan, it's a lot of fun.

03BeastCharmer

The drive is half the fun. The Houston Road Monkeys went 2,500 to get to Monterey, CA for this years event. Trip back was only 1,800 miles as we went a more direct route. We got to see some really amazing places in Utah, New Mexico, Ca, etc.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Yes, we were looking forward to a full report on the Tour De Road Monkey 2013... alas, it was not forthcoming!

O'Fest '14 will be the first in a long time that was NOT focused on a multi-day driving school. Which should leave time for plenty of rallies...
    :D

Terry Sayther

And hopefully non-competition TOURS!