Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Steering Wheel modding

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself)' started by Dragkar, Oct 29, 2013.

Dragkar

Anybody interested in steering wheel modding? :) Was trying to find any kind of similar threads on google but no luck so far. I think this is the perfect place to start one! ;) I just had an interesting idea the other day and immediately ran into some troubles. I have M steering wheel and wanted to add center ring to it, however I couldn't find any related products that would even look like something you can put on.

Here is a pic of what I am talking about

[IMG]

Any ideas how and where get those? Anybody had experience modding their steering wheels already?
    As I was going through search results I found some interesting pics and threads you may find interesting as well.

New BMW Steering Wheel Fitted with G-Force Meter, Race Timer

[IMG]

Found some links associated with this new type of steering wheel but not sure how accurate is the information that they provide.

BMW has unveiled a steering wheel tailor-made for the young affluent class (assuming there still is one) who grew up driving in video games. This new device, the $1,600 BMW M Performance Steering Wheel, features a fuel efficiency tracker, a race and lap timer, and, best of all, a G-force meter that shows drivers just how way-cool awesome their driving skills are as they carve through turns and accelerate down straightaways.
    Coming with three modes, sport, efficiency, and race, the Alcantara suede wrapped steering wheel will be a dealer-installed option on a number of BMW M and traditional models.

Original article:
    ( http://www.bmwblog.com/2012/11/02/video-bmw-m-performance-steering-wheel-explained/ )

ChristopherG

The wheel with the display is available through the BMW accessory catalog. I haven't quite talked myself into it yet. I like the idea of having water temp and oil pressure readings available though. Silicone tape might not look too bad and be easily reversible for a color strip without having the wheel rewrapped.