Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

X5 eats tires?

Discussion in 'E70 X5 (2007-2013)' started by 441712, Jul 13, 2012.

I have a 2007 X5 with the sport package. This includes the 21" staggered wheels. I bought new replacement tires 8,000 miles ago in September 2011, 4 tires mounted, balanced and a 4 wheel alignment. Got 45,000 miles from the last set. Now I notice extreme wear (bald) on the left front tire outer edge. Looks like a tire out of alignment kind of problem. Dealer checked out the suspension and said tie rods and bearings are good. He said the tires were cupping and just wore out. He also said BMW has had a hard time keeping tires on X5's, "they eat tires", and their fix is to sell you new tires and alignment. If the steering wheel position does not indicate an out of alignment condition and it doesn't 'pull' to a side, what other indicator will advise you of an alignment problem before you see the tire wear? Now I must consider changing wheels and tires to a common set due to this problem which requires new tires every 9 months. Is it just my vehicle or has anyone else experienced a problem like this? Has anyone else heard that X5's eat tires?

richstacy

I had 2 X5s and got good mileage on tires from both. But I did not have run-flats. I'll bet that is the problem. run flats wear like they were made of modeling clay and cost as if they were made of gold. Worst mistake BMW ever made, bar none.

charlson89

This problem is actually quite common in the E70 with the sport tire package. Yes these vehicles do go through tires really fast it mainly how BMW has the suspension set up with quite high camber angles for everyday drivers. The front really isn't that adjustable in an E70, the camber is fixed but change able buy replacing the upper control arm. Toe is adjustable, caster is not at all. So unless something is bent your front alignment is probably in spec. But it wouldn't hurt to maybe have the alignment checked by another shop, maybe that shops alignment equipment is off calibration and doesn't know it. But as richstacy said runflats do also not last as long and a non runflat because of there hard rubber design. But do remember if you switch from runflats to non you may not have a spare tire. In your vehilce a spare tire was an option.

minnmarker

Lose the run flats and get a Slime pump and/or AAA membership. Your X5 will ride better and handle better also. Run flats = bad idea.

TinyRK

mrglock

Also not with RFT's to run the tire pressure at 40psi in all tires. This is due the sidewall thickness and firmness. That is the suggestion for my dealer on all RFT's to keep the tires from cupping.

Dragkar

I have M sport package on my X5 as well with 20" M Rims. May I ask if you noticed any kind of noise from you tires? Also what is the name of tire brand? I have OEM Bridgestone Duelers on mine.