Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Radio not working then fixed it's self any ideas why this happens?.

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Electronics' started by ChristopherG, Sep 1, 2013.

ChristopherG

This morning I went for a drive and had no sound from the radio and couldn't select source.

It was on just no sound and it wouldn't let me select the radio tuner. The button worked and the display would try to change then revert to AUX. I got some breakfast and when I came back out to the car after about 45 minutes the radio worked like nothing was ever wrong.

Is it just a minor glitch or should I have the dealer check it out?

charlson89

Depending on what year your vehicle is there are some SIB's out there about the issue of voltage fluctuation causing the radio to lock up. Depending on production of the vehicle they either need to replace the radio or install a over load relay that will cause the radio to come on delayed so it does not lock up. Is your vehicle still under warranty?

ChristopherG

Yeah I still have warranty coverage.

I guess I'll stop by the dealer Tuesday and have them check it out.

edelossantos

Same thing started happening to my recent CPO'd 2011 328i. The radio would be on, but there was no sound, even when making a phone call. Also, any of the warning chimes (like leaving the key in the ignition) - there was no sound. I ended up video taping it on my iPhone so I can show the dealer (I still have the factory warranty). So far this has happened three times. I've read on the other BMW forums that it could be an amp, battery or fuse issue - so hopefully the dealer can figure it out.

charlson89

On a e90 most likely it is either the radio itself not telling the amp to switch on or the amp not producing sound. Did you dealer take care of this once you showed them?

edelossantos

charlson89 - I am dropping off my vehicle tomorrow to have take a look at this as well as some other items. I will let everyone know what the outcome is.

edelossantos

Well as I suspected, the dealer could not duplicate this issue. On the invoice they ran some "tests" and even took my vehicle for a road test - nothing - radio worked fine - AM/FM and satellite. Radio has been working fine since the visit to the dealer. My SA stated that they documented my concern on the service invoice so at least there is a record of it if this radio issue get's worse. I even recorded a video on my iPhone - but they still could duplicate the issue.

ChristopherG

I decided to wait on going to the dealer and get a video I haven't had any problems since the one time. Searching turned up mention of it being a software glitch sometimes requiring a reflash.

edelossantos

Well, the radio exhibited these symptoms again on the way home from work- so this time I drove straight to the dealer and spoke to my SA. He called the shop foreman and he took a look at the radio. He tried to recycle the vehicle by turning it off and on and still the radio would be on but no sound. He informed my SA to go ahead a write up a ticket to have the car looked at for tomorrow. Let's see what they find out.

edelossantos

Well apparently to the dealer they found a SIB to address this intermittent issue. I picked up my car and we'll see if this really fixed the issue.

ChristopherG

Everything still good since the dealer visit?

charlson89

Good to hear

cduenas1

I know it's been a long time since this thread was started, but my vehicle (2009 328i) just started experiencing a similar issue yesterday. When I left work, there was no sound on the radio (or CD/phone), but the display was lit. I also could not change the radio station; it would just switch back to the prior station. I stopped at the dealership on my way home and they had no idea what it was. The display also does not turn off when I turn off the car. After several minutes, when the car completely shuts down, then the display turns off. The problem is intermittent. It happened again today. I have a service appointment on Monday, but my service advisor and the foreman have no idea what is causing this issue. If you're problem was successfully fixed, do you remember what they had to do to fix it? Thanks.