Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

DTM Nurburgring

Discussion in 'Pro Racing' started by smellthebeans, Aug 7, 2013.

smellthebeans

Long shot post here. But, is anyone attending the DTM race at Nurburgring 17 August 2013?

As one of the few Americans out of tens of thousands who will attend and; I am willing to bet, the only Club Member who will be in attendance I would like to have a photo taken with Joey Hand.

Does anyone have any contacts for a pit pass (Fahrerlager)?

Cheers

Touring525i4dawgs '02 525it M sport

Great that you are getting a chance to go. Have a great time! So sucks that Speed is no more so we can't even see the races on tv.

Terry Sayther

I'm very jealous of you for getting to go. I raced in two DTM races a few years ago in Forest Barbers e36m3--basically trying out for the 24 hour race. Typically 120 cars would start each race in 2 groups spread out around the track. During the pace lap, cars would be watched by the officials on supposedly secret tv cameras spread out around the track. Somehow some teams would know that they were between cameras and would take off at full throttle, cutting back into line just in time to avoid the next camera. The Germans are incredibly competitive!
    Also in the early spring races there could be rain on part of the track and even SNOW on the highest part!
    I was not nearly good enough to make the 24 Hour team---my hundred HP 2002 racing career did not prepare me for 300HP! But it was the experience of a lifetime. Have fun, Terry

smellthebeans

@ 525 the full race is available online in HD at the DTM main website. The commentary is in English!

Terry,
    I have met you at a few of the Tejas chapter events back in 2007. Your experience was on the Nordschlief how excellent! I had a wonderful crack at it back in May. Three laps in the morning before it became to crowed with crazies. I have two left on my ring card :D. There is a public day at Spa in October.
    DTM is a whole different level of competition than anything I have seen before. It was a fantastic family friendly experience. I was never able to see or speak with Joey Hand let alone any other driver. I guess being a club member does not carry much weight. Hand never made it past the first turn.

Terry Sayther

I have seen those crazies too. One time during practice laps open to the public I was passing a bus in the rain [!!] when motorcycles passed me on both sides. I found the riders later in a bar and spent the evening with them. There are a bunch of Brits who live to drive and ride the Ring---they call themselves RingRats. They work until they have saved enough to take the ferry to Bremerhaven then it's laps until the body or money run out.

During the races the drivers and the pits are very intense. The course is the most dangerous of all tracks and there are always serious/deadly events. The pits are extremely crowded and cars entering pit lane commonly run into pit crewmembers and other workers. There is nothing like it.

smellthebeans

Did you also have to run to your car at the start of the race? hehehe just kidding. It's even more dangerous today. Just do a google search for touristenfahrten. Who says the 328i is dull car for sorority sisters. 21290_4728341054261_733973206_n.jpg