Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E90 Brake/Rotor options

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by shyammichael, Aug 19, 2013.

shyammichael

I will need to replace my front brakes and rotors on my 09 328xi in the next couple thousand miles and was wondering if anyone has recommendations? The dealer quoted me $705 for fronts done, but saw on bavauto there are some options as far as pads other than BMW OEM. Any suggestions or insights would be helpful. Also if any recommendations for a private german mechanic in the Philly area?

Thanks in advance!

charlson89

The brake pad choice really depends if you take the car to the track or not, sport driving? Sorry can't help with the mechanic in philly, ask some people in your chapter they may know a good one.

shyammichael

Not taking the car to the track, but want something comparable or better than OEM and less brake dust would be nice too. I'll reach out to my chapter to see if anyone has a good local mechanic. Thanks!

charlson89

Look into some street hawk pads they are quite and do have a little less dust. As for rotors I would keep with OEM if possible or at least a good name brand like Brembo.

MGarrison

If you're at all mechanically inclined, swapping out pads and rotors is a fairly straightforward task - it does take some tools though - the right wrenches/sockets/ratchets, a torque wrench, jack, jack stands, brake piston compressor or super-large channel locks, and surely a few things I'm not recalling at the moment. However, if you're more likely to injure yourself in the attempt for whatever reason, then opting to have someone do it is infinitely preferable.

Yangorang

ECS Tuning Lists out a lot of the good options on the market at least for my car: http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E90-328xi-N52_3.0L/Braking/

I was thinking of getting the Meyle rotors in the future since I hear the Geomet coating looks really nice and is very durable. For the pads I'm debating between the akebono, hawk, and EBC RedStuff. I heard that a lot of the ceramic options don't seem to have as hard of an initial bite as the stock brakes do which bothers some.

Terry Sayther

We use Akebono Ceramic--low dust, no noise issues, feels good. We use plated rotors like Zimmerman and Textar. No warping issues for the last several years with this combo.

For a Philly shop check BIMRS.org, but Armand and Tony at VAC are guys that I call on when I have questions.
    Good luck, Terry

shyammichael

Thanks for all the input and help everyone. I think the best choice may be to stay with OEM rotors, as I've heard crossed drilled or slotted greatly reduce brake pad life. I looked at the slotted ECS tuning rotors, but not sure if they'll perform as good as OEM? Was just thinking they'd look nicer behind my new rims. Being in Philly I spend a lot of time in 76 traffic with stop and go so just want something durable.

Terry will check out those 2 shops you've recommended, Thanks!

Terry Sayther

Sorry for creating any confusion---VAC is one shop in SE Philly, owned by brothers Tony and Armand Salloum. Great guys!

I didn't think about drilled rotors before. I love the look of drilled rotors and when they're not expensive I use them on my own cars [even my wife's MINI]. There is no detectable benefit on a street car, but no penalties either---I haven't noticed more rapid pad wear. Zimmerman has plated and drilled rotors for very affordable prices. VAC may have other options, too. Have fun, Terry

shyammichael

Thanks Terry, I'll look into the Zimmerman rotors. Appreciate all the help!

robc1976