Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Leather Dye Color Question Answered

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by wgarrjr, Aug 31, 2013.

wgarrjr

In my introductory thread, I improperly included a DIY question regarding leather dye color for my 2005 325i. My auto-dimming rear-view mirror leaked a very caustic fluid (a liquified gel, I now understand) on my shifter console/bezel, and on the passenger side inner knee panel. My leather color was described confusingly and differently in quite a few reference sources. Officially, it is "hellbeige 2" (light beige 2), but was listed on the sticker as "sand", and translated/cross-referenced several different ways. Now that I have done the repair, I hope it will be helpful to some other folks that the exact match for "hellbeige 2" aka "sand" can be found with Color Number 0521 - Light Sand, at Leather World Tech. DISCLAIMER: I am not employed by, affiliated with, or compensated by Leather World Tech in any way. The stuff just matches. End of story - that's what color "hellbeige 2" turns out to be. I got lucky on my first try, after roughly comparing their color chart online with a photo I uploaded and placed side-by-side. I know - monitor colors are never true, but color comparisons on the same monitor are better than nothing at all.
    Also, for those interested, I saved the $100+ on a new shifter bezel/surround by stripping the old one and re-painting with a few careful coats of Plasti Coat (same DISCLAIMER) in a rattle can. I will post before and after pics. I hope this helps someone else who becomes (rightfully) confused. photo (13).JPG photo (16).JPG photo (18).JPG photo (14).JPG photo (15).JPG

MGarrison

Very glad it worked out, nice job w/ the d-i-y, & thanks for sharing what you found out. I always regret nuisance problems like this on any era of our cars because it seems like something that just shouldn't happen, but it does, and peeps are forced to deal w/ it. Kudos for your efforts!

wgarrjr

Thanks! I guess the moral of the story is that if one owns an auto-dimming mirror from 2005 or earlier, replace it now even if it is not yet leaking, because eventually it most certainly will leak. I replaced mine with a manual-dimming model that still allows for rain sensing and alarm (although I admit I painted the "clown nose" with the matching black Plasti coat). It cost about $150 vs. the $400-$500 for putting a replacement "ticking time bomb" auto-dimmer back in your beautiful Bimmer! The dye, by the way, is very easy to work with, and I actually used the blotting technique described on the Leatherique website. As usual with this kind of work, it is all in the prep.

charlson89

Wow that turned out great!

MGarrison

The replacement mirror you installed, was that a BMW factory mirror? If so, part #?

wgarrjr

Yes. Sorry for the late reply. Part # 51-16-9-218-046. It came with a smoke grey "clown nose" so I didn't even have to use the one I painted, since I liked the grey one better. I know that seems like a lot of - in the part #, but that is copied directly from my invoice, and it is a genuine BMW part.

MGarrison

Thanks useful for anyone to know when it comes up again!