Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

extended warranty question

Discussion in 'Warranty questions' started by johnnyz, Aug 30, 2013.

johnnyz

Hey friends,
    I have a 2007 M6 (E64) with 16,000 on it. I got a transmission malfunction warning. The message said it is ok to drive but it is now just stuck in 3rd gear and wont go into reverse. I paid $5000 for the extended warranty and it is a CPO vehicle. My big fear is if it needs a new tranny that it wont be covered by the extended warranty. does anyone have first hand knowledge about this type of problem? should i be worried at all? It does seem that a transmission would be covered and that im worrying unnecessarily.
    Thank you for any info
    Drive safe
    Johnny

Terry Sayther

Hi Johnny---I'm pretty sure your CPO warranty will take care of this problem. The third gear deal is called 'limp-home mode' and is most typically an electronic problem. First thing we would do is read fault codes and see if any are relevant. Next we would want to check fluid level witch is done after trans sits long enough to get completely cooled and with a computer attached to measure the fluid temp. Fluid level is checked with engine running at a specific temp during warm up. Probably fluid level is ok, but don't make that assumption. I don't think you need to worry about the warranty.

charlson89

Sounds like your having a issue with the SMG system of the vehicle many things could cause this in the SMG 3 transmission. I know CPO does cover most components on the SMG transmission but of course will need to be diagnosed properly.

Terry Sayther

Is that an SMG car? I assumed it was an automatic---not that it should matter for warranty.

johnnyz

Thank you all for the responses.
    Much appreciated

johnnyz

yes its an SMG thanks again for the reply