Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Noob Intro and Leather Color Question

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by wgarrjr, Aug 25, 2013.

wgarrjr

Hi! I'm a new member from NW Georgia, with an Alpine White/Black Leather '97 328iC (The Pampered One!), and a Steel Blue Metallic/Sand Leather '05 325i w/ Sport, Premium, and Winter Packages (The Workhorse Daily Driver). I got "hooked" as an enthusiast after my test drive of The Pampered One, which was for sale used, and of course, looking for TLC (aren't they all?). I ditched my (practically new) Ford DD for the then six year-old E46 as soon as I possibly could, and I have loved every minute of driving ever since!

Fortunately, for my bank account and my marriage, I am an avid DIY car guy, and I actually enjoy all the attention these cars demand. Since we live in the boonies, I joined the BMWCCA so I can interact with other Bimmer Lovers, because they are few and far between out here, and exclamations of Ultimate Driving experiences are usually met with a blank stare...

Now...the auto-dimming mirror in the E46 decided to leak a very caustic fluid on my console (as apparently the '05 and previous models all eventually will do once they go bad). Luckily (relatively speaking), I discovered it after just a few drips. There is a black stain on the passenger side knee panel leather that requires repair and re-dye. Here is my question (finally): the window sticker for the car lists the leather interior as "sand". The factory build order lists it as "hellbeige 2 (arbeitsn (N6HC)". I have looked this up, and it is described as "Dakota Beige". I have looked-up Dakota Beige, and have found several different descriptions/shades (Cream, Light, Tan, etc). The "sand" color is coded "0515" in most leather dye listings. I have found several different "Dakota Beige" listings, but no color codes. HERE IT COMES...WHAT THE HECK COLOR IS MY LEATHER INTERIOR? Are "sand" and Dakota Beige the same color? If so, what to make of the different descriptions of Dakota Beige? The stained area is about the size of a silver dollar, so I don't need much dye, but I need it to match as closely as possible because I am not re-dying a whole panel.

Thanks in advance for your help. I swear this will be the longest thread that I ever post. Honest!

charlson89

Can you please get me your last seven of your vin and I will look up what you have. From what I know off hand the sand and dakota are not the same color. Just curious where are you getting the dye for this from?

wgarrjr

Sure: NJ87126. I have already looked it up (N6HC) on Realoem, and Penske, and it says: "Leather Montana/basic equip/hell-beige 2". Most of the Googled references call it "Dakota" (are we having a geography crisis in this country, or what?). I have assumed that the "Montana" or "Dakota" refers to the grain/type of leather, while the hell-beige 2 is the actual color. I am having a "hell-beige" of a time trying to determine if it is the same as "sand", since that is what is listed on the color sample charts I have seen. I have looked primarily at Leatherique and Leather World Tech for the dye. I haven't purchased any yet.

While we are at it - the "Preselect Lever Cover F Steptronic" was also damaged, and I can either buy a new one for about $100 or find some black textured paint like the type used to paint the shift lever bezel, and the ash tray and sunglasses compartment covers. Any ideas? Thanks!

wgarrjr

I just found a color #1703 "Sand Beige". It looks like a match, but they all look so much alike. It would be nice to know for sure.

wgarrjr

I have answered my own questions in this thread and re-posted it in DIY where it no doubt belongs. Sorry about that. The exact color match is at DIY... with photos!

charlson89

Great thanks for the update!