Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Best OBD2 Code Reader

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself)' started by michaelkimball, Jul 27, 2013.

michaelkimball guest

I've been having a few minor (so far) issues with my 2001 E39 (170K miles) and since the nearest BMW trained technician is 90+ minutes away, I've decided I need an OBD2 code reader.

Is there a consensus on the best one and where to get it?

A standalone unit is fine, but one that worked with a MacBook Pro would be a benefit. (I don't have a PC).
    • Staff

steven s

I think it's a matter of how much money you are looking to spend and what codes you are looking to scan.
    I'd be surprised to find something for a Mac.
    I have Parallels running Windows on my MacBook Pro.

Do you have a smart phone or tablet?
    There are many OBD-II scan tools that use a OBD-II to Bluetooth device.

michaelkimball guest

I'm not so much concerned about the interface with a computer or bluetooth; that's probably 2 or 3 on a scale of 10. I just want a high quality unit that works, captures all the BMW codes and has a decent manual.

If it isn't possible to get a standalone unit, then I can deal with a bluetooth setup, as I have an iPad3. Parallels and VMWare are not feasible for my MacBook Pro (too old, not enough memory).

Any suggestions?

floydarogers

Lot of people seem to like the Bavarian Technic obd reader and cables. No Mac, but apparently can use Windows/Parallel.
    There is also the Android Torque Pro application which uses a bluetooth dongle that people seem to use, especially for real-time driving monitoring.

michaelkimball guest

Poking around on the internet, I've found the following:

1. Various "auto zone" level devices for around $50.
    2. C-Reader VI @ Bavarian Autosport $180
    3. Snap On Tools EECR1 @ $89 & EECR2 @ $155
    4. Bavarian Technic @ $347
    5. Auto Enginuity @431.95

I suppose I could try the "Autozone" unit. There is an Autozone in town and $50 is worth a random try.

The C-Reader and Snap-On devices are stand-alone units which probably means they will work right out of the box, but with somewhat limited functionality.

The Bavarian Technic and AutoEnginuity devices require a computer, which would be great for data logging, but will inevitably require an interface setup with the computer.

Anyone have any specific experience with connecting the Bavarian Technic and AutoEnginuity devices to a Mac Laptop?

chicane

I would strongly suggest AutoEnginuity (http://www.autoenginuity.com/), I have used this for years and it is fantastic. It cost more than a standard OBDCII reader but it does a lot more as well. You can purchase OEM capabilities ON TOP of the standard OBDCII operations for what ever vehicles you have. You can, for instance, with BMW do things like reset the ABS and Air Bag lights (things that you would have to go to the dealer for). And you can test all sorts of components and sensors in real time. I would strongly urge any BMW ower (although they handle most all major OEMs) to go to their website, read their features and consider their product.