Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Multiple Module Failures after Recall Service on Battery Positive Cable Kit

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by 281065, Jul 24, 2013.

I am not one that believes in coincidences, and am looking for your thoughts on the current issues I am having with my 2010 328i (Sport Package).

I had the car into Union Park BMW in Wilmington DE on 5/20 to perform the recall associated with the Power Supply System/Battery Positive Cable Kit/Power Distribution Box Inspection.

When I got the car back, the trunk would not open. The dealership diagnosed the problem as a bad JBE (Junction Box Electronic) module. They had the car from 5/28 to 6/6 and charged me $380.

11 days later on 6/17, all my instrument lights started flashing randomly and the tach and speedo started bouncing erratically. I took the car back in on 6/17 and the dealership diagnosed the problem as a bad CAS (Comfort Access Control) Module. They had the car from 6/17 to 7/10 and charged me $630.

3 days later the same symptoms appeared and I took the car back in on 7/15. The current diagnosis is a bad RDC (Tire Pressure Control) Module.

I am thinking there is a loose connection in the electrical system that is causing all these faults.

I would appreciate your thoughts and any advice on what approach I should take with the dealership.

Thanks,

Allan

charlson89

This is a hard one to really say one way or another with out actually doing the diagnosis myself and see the faults. But I have seen the battery cable recall in very rare occurrences cause a JBE to fail. I have no idea how this happens have just seen it. But normally the module is complete dead when this happens not just one feature. What could have happened is when you do this recall you need to removed the glove box and attached to the glove box in the hotel switch for the trunk. That switch if turned on or left unplugged will lock the trunk so no one can get in it, not with the key, not with the button, not with the handle, nothing. But I would assume the technicians looked into this of course. I just have a couple questions though why are they saying you need to replace the RDC and the CAS module specifically? Do they think they are bringing down the KCAN in the vehicle causing these issues. Which instrument lights were flashing the cluster, radio, climate control, interior lights? Also have they rechecked there work from the recall to make sure the wire is secured to the JB (junction box)?

Really appreciate the response!

My service adviser is saying those modules have been diagnosed as faulty and needed replaced. I guess that because I do not really know enough about their function or the method of diagnosis that I didn't really ask them how they determined that.

They claimed to have rechecked their work, and found no issues. I received a call from them last night, and they just replaced the RDC module and also replaced the JBE again and are test driving it.

The lights on the dash were basically all the lights that come one when you first power up the vehicle. The gages bounced like they do when you first power up the vehicle. I was getting random warning lights (trunk open, TPM fault, the little emblem showing the car on a rack), sometimes the turn signal sounds and dash indication didn't work (but the turn signal light on the vehicle actually did), the climate control acted a little flaky once... those kinds of things. Nothing with the radio or the interior lights.

Thanks so much for involving yourself in this. I did send a note to BMWUSA and they have responded with an inquiry for more information.

Thanks,

Allan

charlson89

Well it sounds like there chasing a issue with KCAN crashing causing all the warning lights. But of course thats a course is a internet diagnosis. But I hope you get this resolved and if you have any other questions or need any help in whats going please do ask.

Thanks
    Charlson